Question: Which live plants

wendyatk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone recommend what are the best live plants to put in with my axolotl please.:confused:

I have in my tank: java fern, java moss, moss balls, vallisneria, elodea and anubia. There are some more plants, but I don´t know the names. They are cold water plants for ponds.

Tina

Hi thanks for this.:happy:

Some recommend plants:

• Anubias Nana - great plant, virtually indestructible, hardy and low maintenance.
  • Anubias Isabelle - very tough, taller than the Nana.
  • Anubias Barteri - just like the Nana, but a bit bigger and with rounder leaves.
  • Java Fern - one of the toughest aquatic plants you can get - grows anywhere!
  • Java Moss - grows anywhere as well, can be made into a sort-of "carpet"
  • Lilaeopsis - this is like grass, you can make a beautiful lawn in your tank with it.
  • Eleocharis (Hairgrass) - same as with Lilaeopsis tends to be a bit taller though.
  • Pongol - this is actually Mondo Grass, so it's not a true aquatic but survives (doesn't grow, just survives) for ages submerged, not really recommended.
  • Congensis - quite striking for a centrepiece plant.
  • Riccia - Riccia generally needs a lot of light to grow properly, thus only suitable for brighter tanks.
  • Narrow Chain Sword - another grassy-type thing. Looks pretty, grows happily.
Taken from...Axolotl Sanctuary

Hi thanks for this very helpful. Much appreciated:happy:

If you were to "carpet" your tank with java moss wouldnt it be exceptionally difficult to clean? like if waste of food got down there? or am i just over thinking it

Yeah, it would be difficult to clean, but I think if you are very vigilant with your cleaning, it wouldn't be too bad.

sometimes (maybe once a month) I took the Java moss out of the tank and rinse it under tap water until it´s clean again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back