Hello all!

thewesterngate

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Brie
Hi there, I'm a planted tank fiend who just recently dipped into the world of half-full aquariums. :p You can call me Brie. I'm on the verge of setting up a 20 long paludarium, and I'm very excited. I'm currently an art major in East Carolina University in North Carolina, with too many obsessions to name. Among these are comics, snakes (I have two, a snow corn snake and a normal ball python), planted aquariums (I have..five or six..cough..), and just about anything else that crawls, swims or flies. I also have three cats, a rescued sugar glider, two dwarf puffers and tanks set up that are still cycling for German Blue Rams and angelfish.

As I'm new, I can't yet post on the 'wanted' board, but I have my heart set on pseudotriton ruber, golden mantella frogs, and various poison darts. :D But mainly P. ruber for my first tank. We'll see how the hunt for these guys goes! And if you have any breeder/seller suggestions, please let me know!

Cheers!

Welcome Brie! It sounds like you are already well on your way to having MTS (multiple tank syndrome).;) There haven't been a lot of discussions of planted tanks on this forum, but here is one:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gen...w-ecology-planted-aquarium-diana-walstad.html

Unfortunately, no one commonly breeds Pseudotriton in captivity. So wanting one basically means wanting one to be removed from the wild. In contrast, the mantellas and dart frogs are commonly captive bred. I don't want to discourage you from getting a salamander, though... obviously I'm here because I'm interested in sals, less so in frogs. I just wanted to start you thinking about where and how to obtain the animals you are interested in.

I've been scouring the internet looking for sellers! I emailed someone whose online shop said they were available, but I can't trust how long it's been since the site was updated. Aside from those, I've reasoned with myself about other species (haha) and may go ahead and get a more common species like Marbled or Long-tailed Salamanders. :) I'm more attracted to color than anything, and semi-aquatic set-ups, and blues/reds/yellows are what I'm really after..they'd be gorgeous against the rich green moss I've collected.

Thanks for the welcome!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back