Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Quick question about hatchlings- please reply

Velaria

Reaction score
How long after an axolotl hatches from its egg does it begin eating? My babies hatched over a two-day period, and even the VERY FIRST hatchling (who was born three days ago) has a lot of uneaten BBS in his container. I have each baby in its own individual container.

I began offering BBS to these babies immediately after they were born.

oceanblue

Reaction score
They often do not eat much in the first day or so until the yolk has been absorbed. I kept mine individually in small containers and estimated how many they eat. About 20 to 30 a day BBS each is my best guess for the first few days.

callina

Reaction score
mostly, when they hatch at day 14 or earlier of the developing stage, they will eat 1-2 days later. But when they hatch later (> day 15/16) they will eat immediatly.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen axolotl eggs hatch as "preemies", and I've also seen them hatch at the point where they are immediately ready to eat, so there is no general rule that always works. With experience, you can tell by looking at the larvae whether they need to eat yet - mostly you look at whether the gills are well-formed and the yolk is gone. Also, this rule is always true: if there is a lot of uneaten food, you should cut way back on the amount you put in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!