Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Slight bump on paddle tail's stomach

Babidi

Reaction score
Hi all.

For the past few months or so (or maybe longer, but unnoticeably), my paddle tail newt seems to have a little bump within his upper stomach area, just below his chest. I don't think it's grown at all since I noticed it and it doesn't seem to give him any discomfort, as he's still extremely active and has an appetite to match. He's an older newt, nearing about 8-9 years in my care, and seems to have absolutely nothing else wrong with him. To the touch, the bump is noticeable, but sort of soft and doesn't seem like it can be moved around, although I didn't bother him too much trying since he didn't seem to appreciate being poked and prodded at.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be, or has anyone ever had newts with this sort of problem?

Additionally, I wanted to ask about the nutritional value of waxworms. I've heard some say they're very fatty and not good for newts, but others seem to advocate them in a varied diet. What's the story?

Thanks in advance.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lumps and bumps on newts can be caused by parasites or growths, such as warts or tumors. I've seen various lumps on eastern newts.

Waxworms are fatty, but are OK as an occasional food for sals. Earthworms are much better - high in protein, lower in fat, higher in calcium.

Babidi

Reaction score
Is it possible the bump could also just be a piece of gravel he may have swallowed? He doesn't act like he's ill or ailing. He's still as energetic and piggish when it comes to food as the day we bought him.

Here are a couple of pictures. I've circled the bump. I guess it doesn't really look nearly as bad as I made it out to, and maybe I just panicked.

Attachments

• Dsci0784.jpg
    Dsci0784.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 456
  • Dsci0785.jpg
    Dsci0785.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 502

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That gravel is most certainly a big risk.
It could be just the food, it could be the gravel...i´m afraid you´re going to have to wait and see how it evolves.
If it persist for longer than a day, then that´s not food...

Babidi

Reaction score
I was reading up on other peoples' newts on the forum who've had similar lumps and bumps, and some were advised that they might simply be fat deposits. Could it be this, too? And if not, how do I deal with the bump?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything you can do. If you knew it was a parasite, there are treatments for that, but it's hard to say what the cause is.

Azhael is right about the gravel being risky. Paddletails eat by gulping, and sooner or later he's going to gulp some rocks. This may or may not be the cause of the lump you are seeing. An X-ray would give the answer to that, but it's costly.

Babidi

Reaction score
How much can I expect an x-ray to cost? He still has quite an appetite, so if it is gravel, it doesn't seem to really be affecting him much, though I'd still obviously rather have it gone. Is there a way to encourage the passing of the rock, if it is that? Or is it just a waiting game?

Babidi

Reaction score
Still no sign of distress from the newt. He keeps under his filter or log until anyone comes by, at which point he chases them around at the front of his tank, like nothing's bothering him. He's really confusing me, but I hope that's a sign of that swelling not being anything major.

Babidi

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the paddletail's new tank setup, sans the gravel. Hopefully it'll work as a precautionary measure for him, if he can pass what I assume is gravel in him right now. The water level's also been heightened quite a bit, which has made him start swimming about to get air at times.

I'm working on trying to get some java moss and airstones, but for now, this is how it looks. Feedback on the new setup?

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 407
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 488
  • tank4.jpg
    tank4.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 352

audrey

Reaction score
I think your new setup looks better. It will also be much easier to clean. Wastes and left over food often times get stuck in gravel as well.
I think that if your newt continues to act normally, not showing any signs of distress and has a good appetite, than you can probably assume that there is no need to worry about the bump. If it has truly swallowed gravel and was not able to pass wastes, ect then your newt would definitely show behavioral changes.
I think what you are doing, such as changing the tank setup and feeding a healthier diet, are good ways of approaching this. Keep an eye on the bump, but don't over react. I believe you will be able to tell if the the bump becomes more serious.
Good luck :)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would recommend that you increase the water volume. There´s a lot of volume wasted on that tank!!!! A bigger volume of water means more stability, and easier maintenance, so fill that tank up, you won´t regret it.

Babidi

Reaction score
For the moment, that's all the water we had ready for the tanks. The next time there's enough, I'm going to be converting my firebelly's to a bare-bottom as well.

The paddletail now seems to be enjoying himself though, after two days of relative shyness and confusion learning his new surroundings. He now apparently knows he needs to swim to get to the surface and get his air, as well as any food that's dropped in there for him - and since the lower water level he previously had didn't have him swimming very often, seeing him do it is kind of nice. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1