Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

30 gallon filter for my 30 gallon axolotl tank good or bad?

axolotlfan

Reaction score
Aqua clear 30 gallon filter for my 30 gallon axolotl tank good or bad. It is a hang on filter which I read are good but does anyone else think aqua clear filters can be used.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Does it have any way of adjusting the water flow? I use a Whisper on my 55 with the flow turned back a little more than half way and disperse the return through a small mesh screen so that it does not disturb the surface as much. Axolotls can become stressed out if the water is moving too fast. Hope this helps!

axolotlfan

Reaction score
This is what it says on the box.
- Its unique design filters aquarium water through a natural and silent waterfall.

- Flow Control: Simply shift the patented "Flow Adjustment Control.
I'm just trying to be careful because if I don't have the filter adjusted enough it wont filter out enough of the ammonia and other bad chemicals in the water. Every form of advice helps out as long as its coming from someone with experience and knowledge of the situation. Thank you for the reply.

Last edited:

dragonlady

Reaction score
Experience with filters, I have over 25 yrs. experience. If I did not feel capable, I would not respond. I could not recall if the Aquaclear 30 had a flow adjustment as Aquaclear has never been one of my preferences. Since your filter does have an adjustable flow, it should be fine.
Edit: That is, if you plan to have your 30 completely filled. If you plan on having this tank 3/4 or less, I would suggest that a hanging filter may not be your best choice.

As for the levels deteriorating in your tank, as I am sure you are already aware, you need to do partial water changes on a regular basis. So if you do this and your tank has been properly cycled, you should be fine. Any questions, maybe you want to look back over Axolotls - Housing in Captivity. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

axolotlfan

Reaction score
Thank you for the response, im just getting into aquatic animals and have very little experience so im happy with you having so many years in this field helping me. Question im trying to run a tank with plants in it and was wondering would a high watt florescent bulb be a problem since axolotl dont like strong light, there is a hide away in the tank and plants to take away some of the light and for the axolotl to go under. Another problem is what type of florescent bulb the white, blue or the half blue and white bulb which one should i use.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I am an advocate of undersized filters for axolotl tanks. I tend to find that even on the lowest settings they still create too much current. Personally I base the filter rating off the number of adult animals versus the volume of water in the tank. Fewer animals and large water volumes allow for undersized filtration. On the down side my method REQUIRES you do weekly water changes, chemistry checks, and make your own filters (or go broke buying the factory made types).

With a properly sized filter unit the issues of too much water current can be easily solved with a bit of a turtle island or the hillbilly method I use which is a square of Styrofoam velcroed to the side of the tank. There is quite of information here on the forums about it if you search "current" with the forum search function.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1