Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Kind of worried :(

toxictart

Reaction score
Is she/he ok?.. Saxson my wild type axolotl i i have had him for a while now he has been the strongest off the lot the others are fine! i did notice however he did have a very slight injury too his leg poor thing and that has healed very well but ever since he has been floating and hanging around near the filter alot the other two and having a walk and swim around he just kind off sits there at the top floating and comes back down at night too sleep was very strange is it just him having an off few days ?..

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Re: Kind off worried :(

How old is the Axolotl? And how many axies do you have together/what size tank? How full is the tank, and what type of filter is it? Has he been eating regularly?

toxictart

Reaction score

i got him from a pet shop same as my others he is still young and i dont think he has reached adult hood yet he is small still will post a picture i have 3 axies together and have a webcam on them so i can see them making sure they are not fighting or some thing the tank at the moment due too very low money and loss of job is i would say more then half full will take a picture and show you i have 2 filters in there one very strong one witch they dont like i only turn it on once a month it gets rid off every thing and gives it a full clean so i leave the little on on he eats alot! am now feeding him 2 earth worms a day now hoping he will grow his fingers back better he is getting a little fat so i have been cutting down to 1 every 2-3 days its just a very strange behaviour very important!! they are not on these stones any more

Attachments

• Photo-0008.jpg
    Photo-0008.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 108
  • Photo-0035.jpg
    Photo-0035.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 104

toxictart

Reaction score

Sorry the substrate they are on now.

Attachments

• Photo-0146.jpg
    Photo-0146.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 112
  • Photo-0154.jpg
    Photo-0154.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 104

Shizeric

Reaction score

That is what the current setup looks like (except for the stones)?

If he is eating, and is able to bring himself down at night (the floating is not uncontrollable), then I would say things are alright. If he was off food or unable to control his flating, I would be worried. If you have 3 axies in that setup, you need more hides, as this is what probably led to the aggression in the first place.

What is the temp of the tank, and do you test the water parameters?

P.s. How often do you clean your tank? With those stones I'd be worried about ammonia levels due to left over debris getting trapped.

toxictart

Reaction score

i cant get a picture as my camera is broken but it is basickly the same its a recent picture that one except for the stone witch are shown in the other picture, they each have a hidey hole (glass) each and have one big rock for all 3 they all like to sleep together in it, i just fed him now and he ate it all just went back too the top again, when that first picture was taken i only had 2 axolotl's. the tempreture is about 18-20 oC, so a little warm unfortuantly, but they seem ok besides his floating my mum suggested fringing him encase he swallowed some little stones?...

Shizeric

Reaction score

If he was impacted from swallowing a stone..he would probably be off food...do you know if he is passing waste?

Also...the glass hidey holes are not suitable, as they do not provide the security that Axolotls need in a hide. They probably all sleep in the same area because it's the only spot that provides a completely dark area. The glass is pretty much doing nothing as a hide, as it allows the light to shine right through.

toxictart

Reaction score

ok that what i thought, he is yes i have separated him at the moment im a little worried about him just until he perks up alittle the others can stills see him and we have a couple of flower pots in there too and the glass has a plant attached on top so its quite dark but ok we will remove the glase's and put in some thing better they all have 2 hidey holes each now went out this morning and brought some stuff just worried about him ive never seen any of my axies float and stay near the filter he just does not look happy :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1