Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Ammonia in tap water - what do I do?

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My axolotl tank has been up for over a month and levels are great except for ammonia. I cannot get the level to 0. My pH is 7.6 and my temp hovers around 18. My ammonia level is .25 and that is what it reads from the tap! I also had PetsMart test the water to make sure my test was accurate. I am on Town water, meaning no well of my own. Is this enough to be concerned about? Their substrate are large pond stones.

I have 4 juvies who are doing well but growing slowly despite healthy appetites (frozen bloodworms). It's my 2 adults I am concerned about. They have been in this tank for about a month (since their arrival) and all the levels have remained the same. They have eaten well for the most part. For the last 3 days, neither has been enthusiastic about eating. Today, Nef only ate 1 tiny shrimp and 2 pellets. Sphynx refused everything. His cloaca repeatedly swells every so often but goes back down after a day. It is not red so I attribute this to him sexually maturing (they are both about 16 mo). Any suggestions? Thank you in advance. :happy:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I searched around a bit on some fish websites and other people have similar issues with trace amounts of ammonia in their water. Seems they use 2 products...AmQuel and PRIME, but I have no experience with these products, but it's what they recommend to remove ammonia from the water. Perhaps you can search these forums for these products and see if anyone has any input.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Thank you, Shizeric. I have always used Aquasafe as a dechlorinator as I don't usually have ammonia issues. I've only been at this location for about 6 mo. though. I will try the AmQuel or PRIME as both seem to acceptable according to the search I just did. Thank you for doing your own search.

Is .25 enough to put them off eating, or might I have another issue? Their temp is just under 20 and never reaches 20 but should I attempt to get it lower? Is Sphynx's cloaca any concern or is the swelling part of maturing?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
The ammonia your tap water is testing positive for is most likely the result of treatment with chloramine at the water plant. Prime, Amquel and most other "de-chlorinators" will remove this as well. Just read the label.

Personally, I use Amquel+. When I lived in San Diego I had to use Amquel AND NovAqua together as I lived in a old apartment in an old part of town. Most water treatment plants are required to send the consumer an annual water report. This report is often available on-line too. I highly suggest anyone on "city water" take a good look at their reports and see what kind of stuff comest to you tap. Many state right in the report what treatments are needed for aquariasts.

Fun fact: Many water treatment facilities have switched to chloramine treatment over free chlorine treatment as it does not dissipate as fast, thus providing cleaner water over longer distances.

Note: I was up at Dahlgren for a while, there was chloramine used in water treatment there. If I remember right, thats pretty close to your location, is it not?

Last edited:

dragonlady

Reaction score
Thanks SludgeMunkey!

Yes, I am only about 15 min. SE from Dahlgren. Tests are being done on the water in my area this week (I just got notified) so I should have up-to-date info soon. Will see what info is available now and pick up the AmQuel. Great info - never knew about the annual report!

Edit: Has anyone ever tried AmmoSorb? I've used it for goldfish with success, just curious.

Guess they'll pick up their appetites once I get this out of their water?...

lea

Reaction score
hi dragonlady

i use prime in my tank and i havent had a problem......i havent seen the other one in the shops over here. i wonder if the water reports happen here in australia ....
lea

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hey Lea,

Thanks, I have heard of both and so far from what I have read, AmQuel+ removes more contaminents but I have used Prime for saltwater and it is a very good product. I didn't want to add anything like this to my axolotls until I knew it was okay. Hopefully, this is why they have stopped eating and the AmQuel will fix that.

If you do find that water reports are available in Australia, I think it would be very beneficial to the site for you to post the url. I found a report but it doesn't mention the chloramine that SludgeMunkey mentioned. What it does mention has me shopping for a filter system for my tap!

Thanks all for your help.

dragonlady

Reaction score
For people who live in a small town like me. Your actual water report may not be available online but you can contact your local Dept. of Public Works and they should be able to help you. Also, you may be able to get a copy at your local library. My new report is due to be out by June 30, 2010. Thought this update might be helpful...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1