Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Newbie feeding question

Bogy

Reaction score
Hello, all. I just got my Axolotls today in the mail, and I have a simple question on feeding. Currently I'm feeding them pellets, but I have no idea how many. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, but I don't want to kill either of my axies in the process! Does anyone have any tips for a n00b?

Oh, they're about 4 inches long. Tiny little things. The biggest one is eating well, but the slightly smaller one isn't eating much. I'm assuming that's normal, though. I'm sure she's had a rough day.

Skilly

Reaction score
When feeding your axies you kind of just have to guess at how much to feed them haha it's not really an exact science. Just feed them what they will eat. If they overeat then they will puke up everything in their tummies...not a good thing, but then you know not to overfeed again. Also if they start getting fat (body is bigger than their head) then feed less or every other day. As they get older they will eat less. When they are small they eat a lot. Also pellets are good as a backup for your critters but I would suggest getting earthworms or bloodworms for them. Worms are the best thing for them to eat. You can buy frozen boodworms in little cubes from most pet stores. Earthworms you can get from bait shops or offline. Those will be the best thing for your axie to eat when it is an adult.

:happy:

Bogy

Reaction score
When feeding your axies you kind of just have to guess at how much to feed them haha it's not really an exact science. Just feed them what they will eat. If they overeat then they will puke up everything in their tummies...not a good thing, but then you know not to overfeed again. Also if they start getting fat (body is bigger than their head) then feed less or every other day. As they get older they will eat less. When they are small they eat a lot. Also pellets are good as a backup for your critters but I would suggest getting earthworms or bloodworms for them. Worms are the best thing for them to eat. You can buy frozen boodworms in little cubes from most pet stores. Earthworms you can get from bait shops or offline. Those will be the best thing for your axie to eat when it is an adult. :happy:

Actually, that's very helpful. That means that I probably won't feed them until they die, like some fish I've heard of.

I know just where to get frozen bloodworms. I've gotten them before for my fish. I'll look for someone around here that sells earthworms, though, because I believe I've read that those are by far the best thing for them to eat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1