Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Alfalfa Pellet Substrate?

Jackulwulf

Reaction score
I wanted to know if alfalfa pellet substrate would be ok for my tiger salamander. I'm looking for some options other then coconut fiber since I can't seem to find a good place to get the loose stuff as opposed to the compressed stuff. I find the compressed stuff is a bit of a pain since it needs to be wrung out really well before its placed in the tank.
Other then alfalfa pellets, what other substrates would be good. I want to stay away from bark chips, moss, potting soil, or just regular top soil from outside. Thanks.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I want to stay away from bark chips, moss, potting soil, or just regular top soil from outside. Thanks.
Right there you've ruled out virtually all recommended substrates:rolleyes: What is wrong with all of these? And what is so terrible about wringing out the cocofiber? If you add less water to start with, it won't need any wringing. I know this is the age of instant gratification, but some things still require a bit of patience.:wacko:

I have no idea what alfalfa pellets would do when they get moist. Would they turn to mush? Would they get moldy? I don't know, but maybe someone else will have a clearer idea.

Jackulwulf

Reaction score
Well bark chips I've been told are a rough and irritating substrate to the salamanders, moss I've been told is too acidic and can cause irritation and possible death from ion loss, potting soil often has additives that aren't healthy for salamanders and in a small town like mine its hard to find good organic stuff that would be alright. And the topsoil from outside probably wouldn't be good because around here I have no idea what kind of pesticides or chemicals that might be in the soil, not to mention it will be impossible to get it during the winter months.

Perhaps even if someone has a good site where I can find loose coco fiber substrate that ships to Canada.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Alfalfa pellets will mold and rot quickly at the moisture level a tiger requires. Definitely not a good choice.

When I lived in Toronto, Big AL's always kept me well stocked. I suggest you buy the brick form, it is lower in price, cheaper to ship, and you get more bang for your buck.

Browse Catalog

K9skennel

Reaction score
i really like the coconut fibre- as someone mentioned, just dont add much water then you dont have to wring it out. it only takes about 30 mins for the stuff to be ready.

DrsFoster and smith have it and do some international shipping, you might look there.
very good price.
Amazon.com has it for $4, dont know about shipping to canada. but you could look.

HTH

K9

Jackulwulf

Reaction score
Ok, I'll be staying away from the alfalfa pellets then. However I did find a place to order the loose coconut fiber from so I'm gonna try that for a bit. Thanks for your replies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1