Cloudy water

lisalee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am back again. I forgot all my details, so I had to start all over again. Any way I have always had problems with 2 tanks that my axis are in, but the 3rd tank is fine. Both of the tanks, one of them has a juvi in it and the other has 4 girls in it but the problem is the water keeps going really cloudy. Freckles' tank that is below the girls in crystal clear, I think it may be due to the sun shine shining on the tanks. I have also noticed that the white rocks that I have are leaching colour when washing them. I have done tests in all tanks and the readings have all came back fine. I keep them very clean and always clean poops out of the tanks when they have been to the toilet, and always look for un eaten food. So I thought about putting them in my walk in wardrobe, out the way of the sun and have doors open at night when its cooler in the summer. Any help or suggestinons would be great.
Thank you Lisa....

Last edited by a moderator:
The cloudyness may be from your rocks if they leach colour; or it could be a bacteria bloom from your tank not being properly cycled. Try changing a little of the water (say 30% daily) and see if it clears it up - I did that and mine was fine (but mine was a bacterial bloom).

What sort of filtration are you using?

What volume of water is in the tanks?

What size tanks are they?

iv already tried water changes thats not helped.
I have 1 4 ft tank with 4 girls in it and a 2 and half foot tank with one juvi in it thats the tanks thats cloudy tanks and a 3 foot tank with my only adult boy in it. The water is near the tops of the tanks. I like to make sure there is enough room for them to swim and play around. I don't know exactly what filters there are to be honest but 2 of them are quite big we have had the filters quite some time before the waters started going cloudy so don't think it will be them and i have up dated the filter sponges recently to carbon filter sponges to see if that works but no success. Just want to be able to see my axis in nice clean clear water.

Did you wash your gravel or sand before using it? That was what messed up my water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back