Meep from Brussels

Guppidy

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Display Name
Anna
Hi,

So here I am. I'm Anna, 26 and half German, but I'm also half Israeli and completely so on the inside. I'm kind of stuck in Belgium at the moment though, for the last 12 years.

I study the audiovisual arts (film and TV making, acting,..) and I practice it also. 3 days a week, I work in this country's biggest pet shop where we sell pretty much anything, much to my horror to pretty much anyone :errr:Baby caimans (the small print says: grows up to 6 feet), blood-thirsty ferrets, puppies, kangaroos, axolotls, sphinx kittens, and a 12 foot python that does escape every once in a while :D:eek:
It's a hard job because you feel sorry for them critters that you just aren't allowed to refuse to whoever dishes out the cash :( Baby chicks for easter, for the kids, no thought wasted on the life thereafter. So all I can do is try my hardest to give people good advice and try to change their minds before getting a hamster for their 3-year-old. I already took one chick home because her leg was broken which would have made her snake food. I need to toughen up.
Enough complaining, I love that job. I get to handle all kinds of animals, I get to cuddle pugs and kittens, and I get to know how holding a croc or a snake feels. It's awesome :proud:

Other interests are drawing, writing and photography. And I keep forgetting sewing plushies and crazy bags nobody hardly ever buys.

Pets: one Chinese Crested hairless dog, Shloimele/Sulaiman, 1 year old, which is as pink as my 2 10 inch axolotl girls, Kerli and Chiquitita. Also 1 wild-colored 6 inch girl called Püppi (nicknamed Uzi because she's small but efficient) and 4 cats: drooling, toothless, blind 12-year-old orange girl Lucymia (Mii-Cat), her salmon-pink crazy son Sozo and shy tortie daughter Minikui (10) and a white and blue kitten called Bal-Bal, 7 months.
Then there's an addidional 6 slugs and like 15 guppys in my axolotl tank but you know how it's like, counting guppys with an axolotl around, so I just don't... All I know is, it's time for a new bucket o'fish.... Püppi has a healthy appetite, I've had her for almost 2 weeks and she's already eaten 9 out of 16 guppys in the first week and she would have decimated them all if I didn't spend so much time digging up worms until I figure out where to locate the PayPal button on that pellet dealer's site... Yeah, I'm new to these slimy little cuteys :eek:

So much about me and my critters, here's me and my rescue Bibi [beebee]
bhzh81a64ucjhigh7.jpg

Hi Guppidy,

Sounds like you have the same problem I have, can't say no to an animal who needs help! I have a houseful myself. I have a lazy dog - a rescue!, 9 turtles - 7 are rescues, 5 tortoises - 2 are rescues, 6 frogs - 3 are rescues, 2 adult axolotl, 4 baby axolotl, 1 mali uromastyx, 1 bearded dragon, and various fish - oh yeah, 3 kids too! Welcome, you're in the right spot to find out everything axolotl! :)

Thanks :) Actually, in the quarantaine room of our shop, there's a bearded dragon they're considering to kill off for a burn scar in his neck. It makes him a bit ugly, but his quality of life is just fine so we're hoping to kind of sneak him back into the show room without our unloveable boss noticing.
The hardest thing to do for me was to sell an old, horribly injured rat to a dude as snake food. That rat was lying there, curled up, hoping to pass away in peace, but unfortunately, he guy wanted 5 rats and all we had left was him and four more. Never look your goods in the eye.

I used to work in a pet shop and when we had an animal like your beardie, we'd write him off in the inventory and then adopt him out to someone rather than to waste a life.

Well, feel better knowing that the rat's suffering is over, but I don't think I would have fed a sick rat to my snake though (no I don't have one!)...You are right, there comes a time when you have to distance yourself from your job! We can't save EVERYBODY...Take care! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back