C.Orientalis larva rot

stanleyc

Reaction score
Country
United States
1 of my larvae seems to have the tip of its tail rotting off. It also has a white bump on its body. What should I do, could I treat it like an adult newt?

In this case I'd suggest using a fish antibiotic product, such as kanamycin, nitrofurazone, Maracyn, etc. However, this larva may be too far gone to save it.

You should also look critically at the environmental conditions for the larvae. My suggestion would be to either move them to a completely clean setup, or move them to an old cycled planted aquarium. Not knowing how you are keeping them exactly, it's hard to know what to recommend, but you might want to look through this article for ideas.
Caudata Culture Articles - Why Larvae Die

Thanks, I'll get to it. I have most of my larvae in a tub with elodea and java moss, 2 or 3 in the parent tank, and about a dozen in Tupperware containers with elodea and java moss in each, which this larva is kept in. I have been lazy with the water changes lately, which may be the problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back