Illness/Sickness: Fungus?

daremo

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi!
i need help, this weekend i saw my axie was shaking his gills more than usual, but nothing else seemed weird, he's been eating reptomin and earthworms normally

i changed his tank about 15 days ago, i cycled it and the parameters were fine

today i discovered this in one of his gills that may look like fungus? i tried to rub it off with a qtip and it didnt come out...

i'm worried, he doesnt have 2 of his left gills (i got him like that and they never grew back) and i am really afraid to take him out of the tank and put him in another container, he's easily scared...

should i do salt baths or is there anything less agressive i can do? and what about the tank? should i remove everything from it?
and what type of salt should i get??

mg2401.jpg

mg2403.jpg

yes, that looks like fungus and doing salt baths is the best you can do. 2-3 teaspoon of salt per 1 litre for 10 minutes two times a day. In the meantime (between two treatments) a habitation in the fridge might be helpful, too (destresses him).

For the tank there is nothing else to do. Spores of fungus are always in the tank and you can´t kill them all.

-Tina-

i just got back and noticed its not there anymore, is there a chance that it wasnt fungus??

and i dont know what or where to find non iodine salt!!

i was told at an aquarium to use blue methilene, but i am not sure...

Hi,

Your local pet shop should carry aquarium salt, you can use that. Please try aquarium salt (2 tsp per liter) first - good luck!

thanks a lot!!

i guess i should catch him with a net and put him in a different container, then back to his tank, right??

i'm gonna be more stressed doing that than him!

Just using your hand is better than a net, his gills could get damaged using a net. Just make sure you hands are rinsed well. Yes, use a seperate container for his salt baths, and return him the tank after if you like, or as callina said you can place him in the fridge. As long as your tank is nice and cool, that would be an ok option as well.

One of my axolotl occasionally gets this on the tip of a gill, but it tends to be easy to remove. His tank mates have so far have never had any sign of fungus, and I have not yet needed to treat him.
When I have needed to move any of them ( which is rarely) I tend to scoop them into a container..remove anything that may hamper you to do this. I have used my hands if they have been in a smaller container..but be warned, they are slippery and strong and can escape.
I would keep a close eye on your tank parameters and temperature, and see how this goes. I wouldn't treat if you can't see any fungus now.

it's gone for now, i will leave him alone because i dont want to stress him (or me) anymore

in case i see the fungus again i will try salt baths, i hope i dont have to... i dont want to grab him, i tried once and he got freaked out and swam like mad crashing on everything :(

the parameters on the tank are fine, i dont really know what could happen, maybe the temp raised a couple of degrees because i had to turn the AC off, that's all i can think of...

it's gone for now, i will leave him alone because i dont want to stress him (or me) anymore

in case i see the fungus again i will try salt baths, i hope i dont have to... i dont want to grab him, i tried once and he got freaked out and swam like mad crashing on everything :(

the parameters on the tank are fine, i dont really know what could happen, maybe the temp raised a couple of degrees because i had to turn the AC off, that's all i can think of...

I was going to suggest the opposite may have been the problem, I remember when I had my axies in the fridge when it broke, they were in 3degree water for a few hours and there gills got a coating of 'frost' which went away as soon as they warmed up to room temp, just a suggestion, I do not know if any body has had a similar experience.

Good luck I hope Aristarco is not ill he is a good looking creature

today there's no sign of fungus...

he seems to be alright, he's swimming more now, as he used to do in his old tank, i hope it is because he's getting used to the new environment, he's been very quiet since i moved him... sometimes its so hard to "read" axie's behaviour...

thanks all for your help, i will keep you posted if anything else happens

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back