anothernewtfan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Jeffries
I remember finding an adult tiger salamander at about the age of 7 and just being hooked.
2003 My senior year i purchased firebellies, a couple from a Petco and some from Wards. Ive always flubbed something up with their eggs and the subsequent larvae, but this year ive done more research and Ive got about 6 maybe more that stand a good chance as they are about an inch. I have four adults in a 55 gallon aquarium. One of those adults is my only successfully raised Cynops.

2003-I also purchased two paddletail newts from Petco. Had to separate them at first as they were very aggressive. They are gorgeous and much bigger now, and Ive added two more from a pet shop here in town. It would be a great thrill if these newts produced eggs but ive read it isnt too common in captivity. These four are housed in a 25 gallon tank.

This site is a great resource for salamander/newt enthusiasts. Love checking out other peoples tank pics for new ideas. Im interested in stepping up my aquatic plant game, buying some of these live blood worms everyone raves about, taking on another species, and setting up a half terrarium/half water setup. Im a wildlife conservation major in NW Missouri, currently taking the first herpetology course to ever be offered at my school. Im gonna try and add more pics of the above mentioned pets.

I realize this intro might be a lil wordy, but hey now you know what i keep, and isnt that the purpose of the intro section. Happy herping to all!

Welcome to the forum, you sounds very enthusiastic indeed, good luck with the course that sounds great!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back