Character development

Guppidy

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Display Name
Anna
Hi! So I have these 3 girls, 2 large pinkies and one juvie dark wildcolored ones. When I got my axolotls, I didn't expect much of a personality from them. I thought they were like fish with legs. Big mistake.

Püppi (Uzi): A bold and gluttonous little girl who snipes meal worms like no other. She's the most active and usually hangs out rather high in the plants.

Kerli: Just lazy.

Chiquitita (Tita): Mentally challenged, mildly put. She's the one who gets stuck all the time, who misses a snail by an inch, who gulps down a snail and then spits it back out, etc. I think I should get her a helmet and a bright yellow reflector jacket...

Haha sounds like you are having fun with your axies. It is rather amazing how much of a personality they do have, and they know their owners face too. So cute! My little wild type axie, Kahlua, is very sneaky, also a handicap with non functioning back legs, but still somehow managed to catch and eat two of the three fish i bought him :D crafty little critter! He is quite comical and I think he knows how cute he is and uses it to his advantage. haha

My Axolotl Rosie has a lot of character she loves attention and always comes up to the glass of the tank when you look at her sometimes she follows my finger along the glass :rolleyes: she's pretty smart too

:ufo:

It's great when they are like that Ours do that for my partner they even know which one she is talking to(well i think they do) lol

Yes Mo Mo our axie does this along the glass with my daughter . She comes straight to the glass and smiles and then will follow my daughters finger:happy:

They each have their own personalities and it's so fun to watch them emerge! Sphynx is shy while Nefertiti comes racing to the front of the tank as soon as she sees my shadow! Sometimes while on my laptop near the tank, I'll look up to see her at the corner staring intently at me! My little ones are starting to follow me too and they are truly little clowns doing their little acrobatics to seemingly get my attention! :D

I love the descriptions you give of yours, Guppidy - they sound adorable! Thanks to your pics, we know how cute they are!

You know, it's the funniest thing, but I had an adult male that spent his entire life in his cave except to breed - which is sort of a character, too, right? I have a friend who is also an axolotl keeper, though, and when he would walk into the room, my "shy" axolotl would swim out, press his nose against the glass, wave his four legs and tail frantically, "trying to get attention". I'd never seen him behave that way before. I finally gave him to this friend, who says that the little fellow is now the most active axolotl he has. Funny, isn't it?

-Eva

my axie, alan, was so nervous when i first got him from the pet shop, he hid all the time, and now hes a cheeky thing, he comes up to the front of the tank when i come in, and if i dont feed him he runs to the back of his tank and wont come out until i do!
i love him to pieces, i didnt realise how much of a personality he'd develop!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back