Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi I am Mahi from Iran

mahshidut

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I registered here to discuse a promlem a friend of mine has,keeping a nice Neurergus kaiseri he has recentely bought, not knowing that it as an endangered specie. Since the only natural habitat of this creature is a region in west Iran, local harvesters trap this nearly-extincted salamander and my friend has purchased one (I do not know male or female). I searched a lot about its keeping conditions,feeding,breeding, etc. but i'm worried we are not able to take care of it properely or it gets sick someway or lacks feeding... I wanna ask everybody, if they know any international organizataion we can give it to in order to retain it or taking it back to its natural habitat. I will be very thankful if you contact me by e-mail at mahshidut@yahoo.com or simply post a comment on this post here.

Thank you, a nice Neurergus kaiseri is looking forward to hearing from you (if it can hear at all!!)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Do NOT release it!!!
You risk introducing new patogens into the wild populations and that´s just the last thing the species needs.
I would contact your local authorities and ask for directions on who takes care of this stuff.
Also, i would inform about the petshop that was selling the newts, because it´s highly illegal!!

By the way, congrats for doing the right thing. You know the species is endangered and you are trying to mend your friend´s mistake (it´s not really his fault if he wasn´t aware of the situation). Well done.

mailwork

Reaction score
You can contact Iran Department of Environment
Where is the Neurergus kaiseri right now?
If it's in Tehran, it's very easy to contact them and they will give it to an expert to return it to natural habitat of these species.

mahshidut

Reaction score
Dear friends

Thank you all for your concern, I'm really inspired by your care for nature... I try to cantact people in IDoE to inform them.
it's a shame to find out this highly valued creature which costs above 80&$ in other countries, is sold here less than only 10$!!!! and absoloutly illegally,without even department of environment realizes!
This very species is in danger and I feel highly responsible after knowing this and try to convince its owner to do the right thing..
thank you all buddies :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1