Does my paddle tail escapee stand a chance?

jessica83

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jessica
After years of having newts, I've had my first escapee. Unfortunately, she is a paddle tail which are strictly aquatic. I haven't seen her for two days, but thought nothing of it because there are lots of hiding spots in her tank that are out of view. Today my roommate saw what she thought was a toy lizard in the hall outside my bedroom, but realized it was my pet when she came back and it was gone. I checked the tank and she is indeed missing. My basement is rather moist, as I've had a few problems with mold down here, so I am hoping she will make another appearence. I've searched everywhere and moved all the furniature. No sign of her. :confused:

I was wondering if anyone else had ever found their escaped newt, how long had it been out of the water? What about strictly aquatic newts like the paddle tail?

Also, can newts climb up things when they are out of the water? I've been focusing my efforts on the floor.

I've had newts and even salamanders survive in my basement for months as long is there is a moist retreat and it is cool. One option you could use is to set a cookie pan in a secluded area with some water in it. This usually does the trick.

I've put out a pan of water with some food in it, as well as a lot of tin foil with water sprinkeled on it. I read that can keep them moist, as well as make some noise for me to hear if she decides to come out of hiding.

Setting up some crumbled,moist towels on the floor would also help as the animal will seak such places to hide under.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back