Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Colour

vladimere

Reaction score
Ok i have two questions m y first is (really a worry atm) do axolotls change color As my wild type female(brown coloration)has all of a sudden decided to change her color. At her gills the fleshy part she has turned a white sorta grayish color which is also on her front legs and her toe tips And she has a little oval dark greenish spot at the end of her nose on the right side of her mouth 2nd question just out of curiosity what sort of coloration off spring would i have from a brown wild type male and a golden albino female( the Mrs is saying all albino) any advice on my first question would be greatly appreciated as i have never seen this type of color change before.....oh i forgot to mention all my axies are adult breeding age

Attachments

• P2147_08-04-10.jpg
    P2147_08-04-10.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 211

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
That does look rather odd. What are your water parameters and temperature?
Regarding off spring, my wild type male and golden female produced wild type, melanoid and gold.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The gills look bad, i don´t know if it´s the perspective but i would think there might be an infection. It´s not just the decoloration, it´s also the general look of them.
As for the patch on the snout i don´t know what to say...given the possibility of infection on the gills, it may be related to it, but it could also be an spontaneous change in coloration with no pathogenic cause.

The offspring genetics will depend on the genetics of the wild type. If he is homozygous then the offspring will be 50% heterozygotic wildtype and 50% golden albino. But if he is heterozygous then the possibilities go wild.

vladimere

Reaction score
the water parameters are spot on i take a sample down to the pet shop weekly to have it checked until i can grab a kit for myself her gills have always been like that(short but very full and fluffy until i noticed all my axies have black toe tips so I'm guessing its breeding mod and have witnessed the nudging and so forth going on and her color has changed since noticing this she hasn't gone off her food(in actually fact we have to be very careful feeding her she's way to aggressive)and actually seems to be getting bigger.... but i have booked her in to go and see the vet.... better safe then sorry

vladimere

Reaction score
oh i forgot to mention my tank temp sits between 17 and 15 degrees ...and kool a few lil golds from her would be great as soon as we get her sorted thanks guys

vladimere

Reaction score
ok back from the vet He says nuthin wrong her gills arent as good as they could be but as for her coloring he recons shes just gone really dark cause shes in the mood for some loving to put it ...... still keeping a eye on her and our femal golden now has toe tips black as the ace of spades

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1