Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Distilled water yay or nay?

christen525

Reaction score
Hi I am new to axolotls and I don't trust my tap water. Is using distilled water from the supermarket ok? I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks!

christen525

Reaction score
Thanks for your help! I want everything set up properly before I get any axolotl...I'm hoping shoegal still has some!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If your local water is o.k. for tropical fish it is o.k. for axolotls. Sometimes bottled water is no better quality than water coming out of the tap. Axolotls do well in hard water. If your water is not hard some aquarium salt or saltwater mix added to the water will help. I have hard water and still add about 1 tablespoon of saltwater mix per 10 gallons of dechlorinated tap water to my Ambystoma mexicanum and Ambystoma andersoni water.

I'm glad I can squirt my water in with a food safe garden style hose instead of lugging jugs of water.

shoegal

Reaction score
Christen- here is a quote from the article SludgeMunkey recommended:

"Do NOT use water that is labeled as "distilled" or "drinking water". Distilled water (or Reverse Osmosis water) has virtually no ions in it, so it causes more work for the amphibian's kidneys. It may be used to replace water lost to evaporation, but an animal should not be kept in pure distilled or RO water. Bottled "drinking water" is usually just filtered tap water and probably no better than your own tap water."

christen525

Reaction score
Thanks Mariah

I read the article SludgeMunkey suggested and found it very helpful. I am going to use bottled drinking water for now to do 100% water changes daily since they are so young. When I put them in a big tank I am going to let the tap water sit for at least 48 hrs. then test the pH and chlorine before I do water changes. I have also read up on cycling and already have the big tank going so it will be ready. Don't worry, your babies will have a good home with me :)

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Do not forget to add a dechlorinator to your water change regimen for the big tank, like Amquel+. While free chlorine will dissipate out of water, chloramines will not. Ageing the water is great for stabilizing supersaturated oxygen, but given the level of water treatment chemicals in the US Municipal systems, a few drops of a dechlorinator goes a long way to preventing headaches. An all in one product like the Amquel or Prime will also remove traces of copper and lead left over from the plumbing and water treatment plant.

On a final note, do a water chemistry test on a sample of the bottled water you plan to use. You may be surprised what you find!

When I was forced to use bottled water (for the last two years) I found CostCo's Kirkland Signature Spring Water to be very cost effective and safe.

christen525

Reaction score
Johnny-

Thanks for recommending costco's water and a dechlorinator, I was aware there could be chloramines that wouldn't dissipate but I didn't even think about copper, lead,ect.!

Melmo

Reaction score
This brings up a question for me: Is filter water or distilled water ok for terrestrial species which are constantly exposed to it? Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1