Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: I dont understand cycling

Jackie Stone

Reaction score
I have a huge new tank,my 2 adults are in their old tank which is too small,I have had them 3 weeks from a previous owner.

I am setting up the 4ft tank this weekend,with a filter from a previus fish tank,I understand it could take up to 3 months to be safe,so I cant add my adults for 3 months is this right?

I have also seen another adult I wish to purchase,should I just be patient and not get it yet?

If I did I would have to put it in another tank and do daily water changes is that right??

melfly

Reaction score
You can cycle a tank with axolotls in but i wouldn't rush to put them all in at once.
You will need to do daily 20% water changes minimum to keep the tank healthy enough for axolotls to live in it.
The other option is to use an ammonia source ie rotting food or pure ammonia to cycly the tank without any animals in it.

As for the 3rd. it will need to be seperate from your axolotls for 30 days anyway quarantined.
But again i wouldn't rush into buying this one until you have some kind of stability in the tank.

Mel

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jackie,

Cycling can be a hard concept to grasp (I think most of us have struggled with it at one point; I certainly did! :happy:).

I have a huge new tank,my 2 adults are in their old tank which is too small,I have had them 3 weeks from a previous owner.

Moving the axolotls to the larger tank will be better for them. The more water volume you have, the more efficiently dangerous toxins such as ammonia will be dilluted.

Cycling in a nutshell is the establishment of beneficial bacteria that breaks Ammonia and Nitrite (highly toxic) down to Nitrate (non toxic). These bacteria will collonise on all surfaces of the tank (the walls, ornaments, rocks, filter, etc). The more surfaces you provide, the more bacteria collonies you will have to break down the wastes.

Cycling with live animals is a balancing act. The beneficial bacteria needs to feed on the Ammonia wastes released by the axolotl, so having ammonia in the tank is necessary for the cycle to happen, but on the other hand the ammonia must be kept to a very low level for the sake of the animals in the water. When cycling with live animals it is imperative that you monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels, and do daily partial water changes.

Cycling can take any time from one to three months to complete.

At the end of the cycle the Ammonia and Nitrite must read at a constant '0' and the Nitrate should be between 10-60. When cycle is complete, partial water changes need only be done once a week or so.

I am setting up the 4ft tank this weekend,with a filter from a previus fish tank,I understand it could take up to 3 months to be safe,so I cant add my adults for 3 months is this right?

Any filter media, ornaments, rocks, etc from a previously fully cycled tank will help reduce the cycling time for the new aquarium.

I have also seen another adult I wish to purchase,should I just be patient and not get it yet?

If I did I would have to put it in another tank and do daily water changes is that right??

Any new additions (this includes feeder fish) should be quarantined for at least 30 days before being introduced to your axolotls, to prevent the possible spread of disease should the new arrival/s be carrying anything harmful.

I usually use plastic tubs when quarantining new axolotls. Using the smaller tank is another good option, but yes, you will have to monitor the water quality and do the applicable partial water changes.

If you opt to use tubs for quarantine (icecream container, tupperware, plastic storage tub, etc) - bear in mind that the axolotl will release a lot of wastes in such a confined space, which is not filtered, so more drastic water changes will be needed to be done daily (90-100%) with fresh dechlorinated water.

Jackie Stone

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply,I am printing it off so I can read it bit by bit.

I am wondering if my nitrate testing kit is advanced enough,you put the water in a test tube and then add a liquid and to see the results you match the colour on the test paper to the colour coded chart :confused:I have papers to test the PH too.
My local aquarium shop does water testing too
If I got another axolotl,when I have understood it all,will it be dangerous to keep changing the water every day,as I felt this stressed my tiny babies and they died?

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi Jackie,

You may want to get pH and nitrate test kits that actually shows numerical readings so you know exactly. Do you have nitrite and ammonia kits as well?

As for the water changes, make sure the water you are adding is at the same temperature and has been pre-treated before the axolotl is in it. I have a 5 gallon bucket set aside for water changes for my little ones since they get 90% water changes. I also use a small sponge filter so I don't have to change the water as often. Make sure your water treatment handles chloramines as well as chlorine and maybe also one that handles ammonia like PRIME. I am not suggesting to use PRIME to shortcut your cycling process though, it is of vital importance that your tank ages naturally so that your beneficial bacteria colonies are firmly established.

For the adult you are considering, couldn't that one go in the small tank you have your others in once they are transferred?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!