Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Airplane/Newts/Dusseldorf/Gersfeld

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
I am currently planing a trip to Urodela meeting in Gersfeld with a direct flight from Funchal to Dusseldorf. But I have these questions:
-Does anybody know if there are Bus from Dusseldorf to Gersfeld?
-There is someone going from Dusseldorf to Gersfeld and then make the way back from the meeting? I can contribute with fuel money if necessary.
And the most important:
-Can I take newts on the plane without they be confiscated? (via AirBerlin)
-What experience do you guys that flight to the meeting had with newts on the luggage?
Thank you.
Jorge

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I just called Air Berlin and asked them. They actually have specific regulations for amphibians. You cannot take the newts with you on board. You can transport them as freight. Please do not put them in your luggage - that's me asking and also what the airline says. Anyway, you need to contact them beforehand with your flight and booking information and let them know you will be transporting animals and how large the container will be. They will transport it in the cargo hold. The transport costs 40 euros one-way, 80 round-trip.

-Eva

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Oh. Thank you so much for clearing it up! Its a bit of money so I will only do it in one way (to dusseldorf) and i think that the animals I get back for the meeting I am going to ship them to my own house and receive them here. But thank you so much for asking them!:smile:
Just need to know if someone can give me a ride from Düsseldorf to Gersfeld!
Cheers,
Jorge

p.s. The container size will be small like one 30x30x30cm or something like that... maybe smaller
Then I must pic them up in the airport services right?

Last edited:

blueberlin

Reaction score
Then I must pic them up in the airport services right?

I don't actually know. You can ask them when you contact them - you need to do this well in advance of your trip so that everything goes smoothly. Good luck to you!

-Eva

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you both by the tips. Yes callina:) It helped :wacko:. Do you know how much for that train trip? On average at least? Thanks,
Jorge

Last edited:

callina

Reaction score
Hi Jorge,

you have 2 options travelling by train.

1. from Düsseldorf to Frankfurt changing train to Fulda, changing train to Gersfeld
Travelling time = 3h 33m - 90€ (one way ticket)

2. from Düsseldorf to Köln (Cologne) changing train to Frankfurt, changing train to Fulda, changing train to Gersfeld
Travelling time = 4h 33m - 70€ (one way ticket)

Tina

Last edited:

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Christ! Both very time taking and very expensive:( 140 or 180€ for round trip is not something normal...thats almost a plane ticket.. I will only use them as last chance thank you so much for let me warned. I really hope some body can give me a ride I will have all pleasure to give 50% of contribution for fuel.

Really thank you for all.
Jorge

callina

Reaction score
yes, travelling in Germany is very expensive :(

I hope, that you will find someone for the trip by car. It will be much cheaper for you. But from Düsseldorf to Gersfeld it takes more than 3 hours - that´s 350km.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Sure but going with another keeper always is better first we are going in a car and he have someone who to talk about caudates during 350km :)
But really thanks for warning this soon...xD better know it now that when I am there:eek:
Cheers,
Jorge

uwe

Reaction score
Hi jOrge,

you may find someone travelling from Duesseldorf to Gersfeld an back. If you want I can give you some contacts.

Please via my e-mail.
Uwe

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Hello Uwe thank you that´s very nice indeed!
Really nice.
I will send my email to your PM box.
Cheers,

GeoNewt

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but has anyone ever had their animals transported as freight before? I'm desperate to go to Hamm, Houten or Gersfeld, but I don't know what conditions the animals will be in after several hours on a plane. Also, does anyone know which airlines offer this service, and for how much?
Thanks,
George.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
All companies offer this service. Afterall they want money and its a freight like any other.
Second: I dont see the problem in animals be closed for 3h in a container?!:confused: I would say that the most common thing in the hole caudate planet!!!:D xD

Cheers,

Lizamphid

Reaction score
Wow i didnt know that you could take Newts and frogs on a plane, but thinking about it people now take cats and dogs on board, saves the ferry and long drive over to europe . worth getting in touch with easyjet me think

GeoNewt

Reaction score
Thanks Jorge, I just wasn't sure whether they would be healthy after rough handling at the airports.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Thanks Jorge, I just wasn't sure whether they would be healthy after rough handling at the airports.

And yet, people send them by standard mail all the time. :mad:

When exactly is the show?

-Eva

blueberlin

Reaction score
Hi Eva,

the meeting is from 15.10.2010 - 17.10.2010

Tina

Oh. Too bad. That rules out my next suggestion, that Gersdorf is only about 2.5 hours away from Berlin. ;) I'll be in Illinois by then. Ok, back to the drawing board.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!