Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Breeding

vladimere

Reaction score
Just a quick question i have 4 axolotls and all are doing the typical nudging and breeding behavior how long after witnessing this do the eggs appear i have witnessed this behavior for the past month that combined with the black toe tips As far as we have worked out our golden albino candy(female) has paired off with our bull abel(black wild type) and sphinx brown wild type(changed her color to a sorta black with gray) has paired off with our other bull airadonna It seems to be taking for ever for anything to happen we have seen them dance and all that but haven't seen any deposits from the males and there all adults and was wandering why ?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Vladimere,

Unless you see spermatophores, you most likely won't have eggs. I say most likely because sometimes you can miss the spermatophores. Axolotls are triggered to mate by reacting to pheremones. That means that the axolotls basically have to "smell right" to each other. Males can deposit their little packages even without the presence of a female. The female must decide whether or not she wants the mating, and some females can be particular about their gentleman friends. In addition, although the axolotls may look sexually mature (fully formed cloaca, discolored toe tips), they may still need some time to be ready to reproduce.

-Eva

vladimere

Reaction score
thanks for the advice blueberlin i noticed last night candy(gold albino) was squatting over a rock n it looked like she had a mucus package under her but by the time i got there to see it better she had moved and i couldn't see anything left behind so sorta hoping she picked something up.... fingers crossed......... in the mean time we have located a bigger tank to house them in and the mrs has plans(for some unknown reason) to build a 4 foot long 3 foot wide and a foot high tank i think it's for our daughter(she wont leave the axies alone lol

blueberlin

Reaction score
Hi vladimere,

If Candy has fertilized her eggs, she will begin laying within 24 hours, so by the time you ead this message, you will know for sure. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - and lucky you for having a Mrs. who participates in your axo-mania! :happy:

-Eva

vladimere

Reaction score
lol thanks blue we have two eggs atm and since the daughter snuck her new one in theres alota swimming and rubbing going on in the tank so there might be more

blueberlin

Reaction score
Oh my! Well if you have two eggs, more are sure to follow. The little lady will take some breaks sometimes and be terribly hungry, so you might offer her food if you seee her sitting quietly.

-Eva

melfly

Reaction score
oooh exciting times!
I didn't get a two egg warning...just a few hundred scattered all over the tank! lol

Good luck!
Mel

Tiffanymac

Reaction score
Congrats! Eggs are so exciting! :D I bought some from Slimer and they had all hatched by the time they arrived :)eek:) so I didn't get to 'egg watch' this time! :p ...there's always next time though! ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!