Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt Personalities

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I've been thinking about posting this for ages; I have three chinese fire bellied newts and for something so small they ALL have hugely different personalities. I was wondering what personality does your newt/salamander have?

My first newt Isaac (female); stays on the bottom of the tank and stomps around; if I go in the room she comes to the front of the tank and plays "chase my finger". Isaac isn't really into swimming except when necessary; Isaac prefers walking. Isaac has orange back legs lol.

My second newt Tiny (Male); is terrestrial and a wimp; I have a little pot of water for him to sit in and after eating he always goes for a rest in it; he also "pops" his mouth after eating; he loves his food and often has to be rescued when he goes for a swim. He can swim and he can stay under the water he just prefers not to. He was skin and bones when I bought him (September) and now he's looking perfect.

My third newt Flame (Female); is a swimmer; she swims everywhere - I've never seen a swimming newt before (well I mean a newt that swims for everything; and not swimming to move); if I go in the room she swims to the front of the tank; she swims over the surface, she likes swimming it seems. She has an odd pattern to her belly - she has a black line across her neck (it looks like a noose or a necklace) and she has spots which merge next to her arms which to me makes it looks like she is wearing a vest.

On Feeding days when I wake up (the newt tank is next to my bed) I often find the two girls sitting in their food bowl looking at me.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an interesting post - thank you for writing it. I think we've all found that behaviour varies from individual newt to individual newt. It's often hard to explain. For example, I have 3 female tiger salamanders that I collected as young larvae in May 2007. They are now large adults and 2 of the 3 are very outgoing, tame and very interactive. The third has always been very standoff-ish and timid, yet they were all raised in the same manner and treated the same way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1