Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Need advice!

Durbimac000

Reaction score
Hey Yall!

Ok heres my issue!
I had a 30 gallon tropical aquarium a year ago and well i decided to give my fish to my sister and so now i have an empty tank and setup, but i want to convert it into a home for my axolotl that i will be buying in a month or two after i set up the tank.

I will be getting new sand.
pPETS-3759688t400.jpg

I have a new back filter cartridge.
51ZOSBcrBtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Im in search of a new bio wheel (having trouble finding them around my town.)
41WBtTZQE3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is the filtration system called Marineland Penguin BIO-Wheel Power Filter.
T710516_56378

Do you think this will be an issue getting the tank cycled and getting rid of the salt?
I really do not want to go out and buy a new one.

Also would it be an issue if i cleaned off my dads old rocks he used in his tank like 5 years ago?

Advice on any plants as well?

Sorry for all the Questions, I just want everything to be perfect! lol
:proud:

melfly

Reaction score
Hello
As long as you give the tank a good clean, and possibly boil those rocks, (How big are they by the way) i dont see a problem.

Have a search under plants on the forum.
Elodea and java fern, java moss and marimo mossballs all do well in coldwater aquariums.

Sayin that i seem to have not much luck with plants and am considering going fake.

Well done for doing your research before buying your axolotl :D

Mel

Durbimac000

Reaction score
Ok, the rocks a very large. about 8in x 5inx 3in, they are all around that size.
I just orederd a new biowheel filter last night, planning on getting the sand in then next few days, hopefully get the tank filled and start cycling by Sunday. That way by June the water will be ready for my little dino.

melfly

Reaction score
Ah ok yeah the rocks'll be good.
I would give them a boil first...just in case!

Sounds like a good plan you have.
Good luck with your cycle, and i cant wait to see some pics of your little guy when you get him! :D

Mel

melfly

Reaction score
Don't some rocks explode when boiled?

-Eva

Erm...!
Maybe gentle boil?....or lots of rinsing!

I dont know you know. I'm now worried i just told someone to blow rocks up!

Maybe best to soak them then.

Mel

Myst

Reaction score
My tank sits at a chilled 17 degrees Celsius ( 62.6 Fahrenheit) and my plants are thriving...I'm not sure what type they are, they kinda look like really long underwater grass. I just asked the guy at my petshop for the toughest plants they had, as both me and my axey are notorious plant killers. I've had them for months and months, and theyre still going strong :)

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I searched it. Here (click) is a description of which rocks can be boiled and which shouldn't. I'm giving Kiwi more rep for that! Now if I can just memorize that.

-Eva

melfly

Reaction score
Thanks Eva, I hope Durbimac sees this before sending me a bill for a blown up kitchen!

Mel

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I don't think bringing a rock to a boil is an issue, but as the temp change is somewhat gradual, but I have heard of other things exploding while microwaving (rocks, jawbreakers) because that temperature change is extremely rapid.

"The chances of much happening from boiling are pretty slim, especially if you put the rocks in while the water is still cool.

Where people run into a problem is when they put heated rocks into water, especially cold water."

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
These rocks that you have. Are they rockes left over from a salwater tank? Live Rock from salt water tanks are very rough and sharp and no safe against your Axolotls fragile skin. Look for smooth rocks from streams and small rivers. Live rock could also make your PH to high.

Durbimac000

Reaction score
Hmmm ok! Well I havnt boiled my rocks yet, lol. But as for what Billy said I think they might be to rough too never thought about that. Lol

& plants I havnt bought plants yet, but thanks for letting me know they need to be tough plants that won't dies easily. Lol

thanks!

Durbimac000

Reaction score
I acctually ordered on the otherday from online. My tank is a 30 gallon.
Do you think that is a good amount of room for two? My boyfriend wants a black one and i want a cute white and pink one with black/blue eyes lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1