Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: My albino axie is blushing...

Katefro

Reaction score
Hi, I'm sorry if this is posted anywhere else on the forum, but I have looked around and also on Google - just need some advice! :rolleyes:

I have a a year old albino female and she is perfect size, proportion etc. She lives with a male wild type and they love each other... they are equally sized and don't stress each other out, for the last 2 days her gills have been forward and her skin is getting pinker, I can see the veins in her tail beginning to show up.

Water levels of ammonia and nitrates/nitrites are fine and the wild type is fine. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas? when they are getting full of eggs do they get pink? Or could it be something more sinister? :(

regards
Katie

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Katie,

Albino axolotls show a blush when they get more active, like at feeding time. Their skin is transluscent so you see the increased blood flow beneath. It could be quite normal. The curled gills are something to consider, though. Is it possible for you to post a picture?

-Eva

Katefro

Reaction score
Thanks for that info, I guess I'm over observant with the axies as they sit next to my work desk! I will try and post a couple of pics, the gills are not curled forward just more 'up' than usual... let me try and find my camera.. .:eek:

tomkeogh

Reaction score
I do not think you have much to worry about, when I get home from work my albino is pure white even her gills then after feeding they brighten up, and in the mornings she is as red as they come! So, I think it is all down to movement etc her gills are also quiet curved but this is because they are too long and fluffy for her to 'hold up' if you look at some of my pictures you can see if your albino is similar, although I would post a couple pictures because there are a lot of knowledgable members of this site and I'm sure they will tell you if this is the case or if she is stressed

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
As she is about a year old and living with a male, there is a possibility she is about to lay eggs. I had a golden female that had a slight pinkness to her lower regions during this.

Katefro

Reaction score
Oh wow! My one looks exactly the same as yours, except smaller gills but just as feathery! I've only had them both for just over 6 months so I'm still getting used to their behaviour. I will try and upload some photos later on! Thanks for the messages! :blob:

melfly

Reaction score
Hi
I agree with bellabelloo, it could be i sign of getting ready to lay.
My male goes completely pink when he's dropping man stuff, my females whole tail went pink just before she laid.

God luck if she lays!!
Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1