Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nuka is better - thanks caudata!

Myst

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank caudata, my axey Nuka has been floating at the top of the tank for the last couple of days, and I read somewhere here (can't remember where exactly) how to treat her.
I put her in a small container with just enough water to cover her, so she could touch the bottom, and after about half an hour she calmed down enough to burp up the gas that was making her float.
She's still not eating very well, I'm hoping this is just stress related to moving house, and she'll start being a glutton again when she settles in

thanks again!

myst

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Myst,

If that is Nuka in your avatar and that is the substrate (pebbles) she is on, that could be her problem. She can and will easily swallow those pebbles, but they will not pass through her digestive system easily and can cause a blockage. She needs to be on sand or bare tank bottom. Meanwhile, keeping her in the fridge will help slow her hunger util she passes any stones she may have swallowed - and gives you the opportunity to change the substrate. ;)

Good luck to you - it is so nice of you to write a thank-you post!

-Eva

blueberlin

Reaction score
Whew - great! I would really, really hate to seem like a know-it-all, just want to be careful. :eek:

So - back to rejoicing that she's doing better!

-Eva

blueberlin

Reaction score
You really are sweet as can be. And Nuka looks purple and sparkly!

-Eva

Myst

Reaction score
She's got a big gold splot that I really love, and she seems to have laugh lines around her eyes...none of the other axeys in the store had them, i'm not sure if it's just a scar or what, but it means she's always smiling:D. What kind of axeys do you have?

blueberlin

Reaction score
I had wild types and a gold albino. Sadly, I had to give them all away because I am moving from Germany to the US and can't take them with me. Once I get settled over there, though..... ;)

-Eva

Myst

Reaction score
Sad that you had to let them go:(
I just moved too, but only a few suburbs, rather than continents. Nuka was less than impressed with car rides and a short stay in the fridge while the tank was set up (I couldn't get the chiller to work, and left unchilled the water is around 30 degrees C (86 F). It's all good now though, the only problem is the constant wet floor from the condensation

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!