Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Something is wrong with my axolotls can anyone help?

lauralockhart

Reaction score
I've had her for about 4 months.
It started when she kept floating on top of the water, this was about 2 an a half weeks ago. I sorted it out, took it as a case of swim bladder i was just wondering if this could be linked to her other problems now. About 2 weeks ago she started losing the colour in her gills. In the past week though, her gills have shrunk, they are tiny; you can hardly see them anymore it looks like they have gone.

She has completely gone off all her food, and is hardly moving. She seems really nervous and shy. This morning when i looked at her, she was acting strange and kept opening and closing her mouth, it looked like she was trying to be sicl

About a week ago she decedied to eat a butterfly plec, could this be something ese thats wrong with her?

I dont think she's stressed either,I've looked and she has none of the signs of stress. Can anyone tell me whats wrong and how to help her? The tank and water quality seem fine as they have never bothered her before and surely if it was this it would have happened sooner?

Thanks

callina

Reaction score
Hi Laura,

are you sure that she´s really an axolotl?

What is the water temperature and for how long has the tank been running before your axie came in?

Could you post some pictures, so we can give better informations of what is going wrong.

Tina

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi lauralockhart,

Axolotls do not have swim bladders like fish do. Floating, gulping [for air], shrinking gills, and the fact that you have had her for four months would make me think that the water quality is off. I am guessing you are an experienced aquarium keeper? Axolotls produce a lot of waste, mainly through their skin (not just feces that you can remove). I would test your water for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

There are very, very few fish that can be "kept" in an axolotl tank, and even these can't really be kept except as food, because the axolotl will eat it sooner or later. Most fish are tropical and need higher temps than the unheated water an axolotl requires. Many fish will nibble at an axolotl's gills, effectively suffocating it, and/or its skin, inviting serious infection. Plecos are possibly the worst fish of all to keep with an axolotl because their fins have sharp spines, which they open like an umbrella in self-defense - and in the axolotl's mouth.

What are your water parameters, then - ammonia, nitritie, nitrate, and temperature?

While we're at it, what substrate do you have and is the tank lighted and/or heated? What other animals are in the tank with the axolotl?

-Eva

shoegal

Reaction score
Just a note: axies and plecos are horrible tank mates. I can't imagine that eating the pleco helped your axie's current situation.

Similar to Eva & Callina, I would be interested in learning your exact water paramenters, the water temperature, and also your tank substrate.

Also, was your tank cycled before you added your axie?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1