Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping it cool cheap :D

FredMack

Reaction score
Hey im new here but i just wanted to share my tip on keeping the water cool and cheap. So i have a 20gallon tank and i live in California. i was recommended by the person i adopted to keep the water cool by using frozen water bottles 2litre would be fine but from research online i found out that chilling the water too quickly causes them more stress than if the water was just a bit warmer. on a day going to Bed Bath and Beyond trying to use up my store credit i found these plastic ice cubes shaped like ice cubes and filled with only filtered water they come in a pack of 2 or 3 dozen for $2.99 my area. there in a bag and the cubes come in 3 colors, green, blue, translucent all mixed up in a mesh net bag. they're reusable and if they ever broke they are chemical free! i find these great to have because its easier to adjust the temperature by just putting any quantity of these cubes in to get the right temperature. I recommend to buy one $2.99 bag per every ten gallon. and youll be set just keep in a plastic grocery bag or container in the freezer. they dont take as much space as ice trays and not as annoying to make ice all the time. plus you can finally use the ice for yourself!

Run to your nearest Bed Bath and Beyond
now! :p

Note: i hated putting down the 2 liter frozen bottles into my tank because they always hit the bottom hard before floating and gets me a scare of crushing my axolotls i wouldn't want zombie and human to die :[

tomkeogh

Reaction score
It seems a lot of people in Cali have Axolotl, they are not very good at enforcing these laws are they! there must be Salamanders or newts native to that area of the world why do people not just buy them!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
"They" are pretty good at enforcing them. "They" spend time on this site as do many other various authorities both from the USA and abroad.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
There is no need to be aggressive and sarcastic I was just making a point, there seem to be quiet a few post's by people from California with Axolotl

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1