Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

American Toads Unusually Active

blacksheep998

Reaction score
I have a pair of small american toads that I found about a year ago and have been keeping in a tank roughly 15 inches x 24 inches. They were extremely tiny when I found them, only about 1/4 inch, but they're about 1.5 inches long now.

Anyway, the one toad seems pretty much content to burrow in a corner or sit in the small water bowl. But the other one is constantly on the move. He will either hop into one side of the tank and bonk his little head repetitively or stand on his hind legs in one corner and try to climb out.

I feel bad for him but am not sure what is wrong. I make sure they always have water and a decent moisture gradient. They have a small flowerpot to hide under (or more often sit on) and I feed them either crickets, mealworms or pillbugs every other day, along with the occasional carpenter ant or spider that wanders into the house.

blacksheep998

Reaction score
He's been doing this pretty much since I got him, though it has gotten worse since spring started. And we moved over the winter, so while they were once in a very sunny window (probably too sunny from some of the things I've read) they now get only indirect light.

jjgordon24

Reaction score
I have a pair of small american toads that I found about a year ago and have been keeping in a tank roughly 15 inches x 24 inches. They were extremely tiny when I found them, only about 1/4 inch, but they're about 1.5 inches long now.

Anyway, the one toad seems pretty much content to burrow in a corner or sit in the small water bowl. But the other one is constantly on the move. He will either hop into one side of the tank and bonk his little head repetitively or stand on his hind legs in one corner and try to climb out.

I feel bad for him but am not sure what is wrong. I make sure they always have water and a decent moisture gradient. They have a small flowerpot to hide under (or more often sit on) and I feed them either crickets, mealworms or pillbugs every other day, along with the occasional carpenter ant or spider that wanders into the house.
my bufo debilis does the same thing and i would like to know why as well

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1