I am new to Caudata.org

dixychickca

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Let me tell you a little bit about my pet. I have a male tiger salamander that I found in my basement when I was moving out of house. It scared the heck out of my husband and I was a little freaked out by what he found. So. I took him upstairs in a cloth and ran him under the water to clean him up. Saw on how cute he was a had to keep him. When we finished loading the truck and did a walkthrough, I found a skeleton salamander and I was sad. He likes to attack my fingers and I am not sure why. I will try to load a picture of him to show you all. He was moving around too much when I was taking the picture. Hope you all like it.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 126
Welcome to the forum.

The 'attacking' of the fingers just means your digits look like they might be edible. Tiger sals can have quite the voracious appetites. Yours looks a little thin, which is understandable if you just found it. Check out their care sheet linked above for tips on how to set up the tank and keep your new buddy healthy.

I've had my pet for almost a year and when I found him I was scrumaging in my basement to find spiders for him to eat. Every animal that I found always died on me and wasn't going to let it happen to him. I did a lot of research to figure out what he is, and how to care for him. There is this guy on youtube.com, he was very helpful, especially in determining the sex...etc... I hope my picture of him is clear enough to see his markings. Is he a tiger salamander or is he a spotted? I will post more pictures of my little guy soon. Thank you for all your advice.

It sure looks like a tiger to me. Spotted salamanders don't have the yellow on their throats and stomachs that gives the Tigers their distinct "smiles." Also, Tigers have yellow/orange eyes, while the spotted salamander has a more solid black eye.

I have two tiger salamanders and they are probably one of my favorite species ever. Mine will attack and try to swallow my fingers, too XD

Tiger salamanders are tough, so I'm sure you didn't do serious damage, but you should not rinse him in straight tap water anymore. Chlorinated water is poisonous to them. They can absorb oxygen, vitamins, and minerals through their skin in the water, so they are understandably very sensitive to chemicals. You should either treat you tap water to remove the chlorine & chloramine, or ideally use bottled spring water. Never use distilled water because it can actually leech vitamins and minerals from their skin if they soak in it for too long, robbing them of precious nutrients. If you choose to mist your tank you can mist with distilled water to prevent hard water spots from forming on the glass. This small amount of distilled water will not hurt your salamander, you just don't want him soaking in it.

Feed your salamander crickets, roaches, and earthworms. You should dust every other or every 3rd meal with Calcium+Vitamins+D3 powder. (I use Reptivite +D3)

They do not like heat, try to keep them cool. 65F-75F is great.

They will want moist substrate to burrow in. Use coconut fiber. Peat moss is too acidic for their sensitive skin, and potting soil will have chemicals in it. They enjoy hiding under a layer of sterilized dry oak leaves. You can boil or bake the leaves to sterilize them. The leaves are optional.

Give them a large water dish, at least 2" deep, no more than 5" deep. Fill the water area with bottled spring water or treated tap water.

They do not need any special lighting, but if you want to grow plants in their tank you'll want a full spectrum fluorescent bulb.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back