Advice on my new addition.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
El Duque
Hello, I took delivery of my new baby wildtype today, He/she is 35mm long and has tiny stumps for back legs, I purchased him from Exotic Pets pet shop and they informed me he feeds on frozen bloodworm.

He is on his own in a 60litre tank, my two juveniles were 4inches when I got them so if my new guy will require extra care please could you tell me, I have a few questions;
Should I lower the water levels or is 50litres and about 50cm high be okay?
I want to feed him live blood worm this may be a stupid question but at just over an inch can live blood worm hurt him?
will daily feeding be okay at this stage or should I feed more reguarly?

I have a hide a couple plants, a small airstone with very slow flow and sand substrate.

Attachments

• DSC00273.jpg
    DSC00273.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC00277.jpg
    DSC00277.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC00278.jpg
    DSC00278.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tom,

I have 4 who were about this size when I got them. I fed mine frozen bloodworms once daily and they ate those well. I think once a day will be fine as you don't want to overfeed him. I think live might be too big but you could try cutting them up a bit and see if you can entice him to take it. Watch the size of your frozen too. I have found that the ones in the cubes are much larger than the ones in flat packs. I think you have both available, right? Now a month later, I am starting to offer small sinking salmon pellets too.

I think your water level is fine too. I had the same concern about my 20 gal. and was told half full was fine. At this size, they will sit suspended sometimes so don't be alarmed. I think you will enjoy him as they are little clowns! Good luck with him, looking forward to see what he looks like as he gets bigger!

Great, I have seen him swim to the surface a couple time's so I know he can make it.
I am also looking forward to seeing his colour at the minute his bottom half is pale or translucent and the rest is sort of gold and brown blotches.

I only have live and the frozen cubes of bloodworm my other options are freeze dried which I think float, I also have some sinking bloodworm pellets but they are quiet large, the live are smaller than the frozen.

My other two have just seen him, there tank is right next to each other I think they see dinner!

Hi Tom,

your baby is so cute and so tiny
I havn't seen an axolotl so little
sorry i don't have any advice for you
but i had to tell you how cute your baby is

Thanks

I was amazed at how small he is I thought would be a couple inches, He is just swimming about like a nutter, he keeps swimming over the air stone and going for a ride!

I was surprised when I got my 4 too! I had a minor panic attack (only needed one paramedic - haha) but once I saw them eat the first time, it was all good.

I wouldn't do the freeze dried, try a little frozen and see how he does.

I have mine sitting next to my turtles - same thing! I put a partition just to get them away from that end! They would snap at the glass and everything! Turtles are not too bright! lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back