Hey y'all

ashbwell

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just saying hi, I'm here to learn more about axolotls and potentially buy one. One of my best friends who's in vet school has two and I am intrigued. I hope to be a proud owner sometime soon, I just need to make sure I have all the right equipment first. I'm a little nervous because I've only been successful with a few of the fish I've had, but the ones that didn't die immediately (I imagine from the stress of travel, a new home or just because they were mostly from Wal-Mart...I know, the worst place possible to buy any living creature) lived good, long lives. I did notice that whenever I purchased fish from more specialized pet shops, they were much hardier, so hopefully I do have a knack for water creature husbandry.

I've been reading up on axolotls, if any one has some definite DOs or DO NOTs for me, I'd really appreciate it. Also, I'm in Northeast Georgia so I'd love to find a breeder in my area. I'm done with pet shops for pets.

Welcome! You have found THE place to get all the axolotl info you need. Check out axolotl.org first and then scan through the forums - and when you are ready, if you have doubts, just ask - somebody will help you!

I will give you a definite DO and DON'T for starters and maybe some others will add their own to help you out! ;)

DO get one, or two, or three - jk - they are addictive though, so everyone will warn you! Do be prepared with a cycled tank before you get one! How's that?

DON'T use gravel larger than 1mm for axolotls EVER!! Look to sand (fine, gravel free), tiles, or choose not to use substrate at all. There are so many posts out here where people tried gravel and it ended poorly.

There you go, now read and also, when you are ready, check the FS section at the bottom of the Forum Index pg for your axolotl - somebody usually has some. Good luck! :D

hi ashbwell
welcome to the forum......i agree with what shannon has said.......i would add read this site and then re read it....there is so much info on this site ......the site is great....the info is helpful and the people are always there to lend a hand wehn you need them.
lea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back