Axie eggs for the first time

Cts

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
When i came home today i was surprised when i realized that my lecoustic female axie was laying eggs :eek: kinda exciting and scary since it is the first time :p

What should i do if i want to hatch them? just leave them where they are and try to move them later when they hatched or move the eggs to a safe container before they have hatched?

Move them as soon as you can or the adults will eat them.

I wouldn't recommend raising too many or you will struggle to feed and rehome them.

Good luck!!

Mel

Ok, i've moved some of the eggs to another container, i left the rest where they are. I guess we'll see what happens in a few weeks :) thanks for the quick answer :)

Congrats!!! Babies are AMAZING! :D Good luck!

....I feed my 1 1/2 week babies brine shrimp that I hatched and they also go BONKERS over HBH Baby Bites! (Guppy and Fry Fish Food)

my axie has just started laying. shes only 6-8 months old, is this a problem for her?

how many would you suggest taking out? they are attached onto a artificial plant is it safe to just pick the plant out? will i damage any of the eggs?

i have another small tank to place them in, it did home some guppies. do they need a filter or will this be too strong?

how do i look after them?

Lynette, i very worried owner :-D

Hi Lynette, if I were you I would transfer the plant with the eggs on. The eggs are much stronger than you probably think and they are pretty well stuck. When deciding how many to move you have to ask yourself how many babies you think you can raise, sell or give away.

Yesterday I moved 3 plastic plants full of eggs into a small 18" tank. As you take the plant out of your axie tank the jelly will look like it's about to drip. I had a dish held under the plant as I transferred them.

I start off with the water in the egg tank the same temperature as the one I've taken them from, but over the course of a few days I try to reduce the temp to about 15 degrees Celsius to slow down the growth rate.

You don't need a filter or an air line at this point. With my last lot I scooped about 2 litres of water out of the egg tank each evening and replaced it with dechlorinated water from a bucket. I let the fresh water flow over the eggs hoping it would aid gaseous exchange.

6 - 8 months old is a little young to be a mum and ideally you should isolate her from the male to give her body time to recuperate. If you cannot isolate her, don't worry but try to be vigilant and remove any jelly cones you see in your tank as soon as your male deposits them. Oh and give her an extra earthworm or 2, the little lady deserves them.

Dragonlady sent me a link yesterday to some truely superb pictures of egg development you can see them HERE .

Have you visited This Page about rearing larvae from eggs on axolotl.org?

You might also like to see the caresheet that I created for people that buy axolotl eggs from me because theres a useful video tutorial for creating a brine shrimp hatchery that you might find useful.

My axie was about a year when she started laying eggs.
The eggs hatched about 2 weeks ago, and only 2 has died out of all 30-40 so far. I'm feeding my axies with baby brine shrimp (Artemia) twice a day and change some water every day :)

this morning i found white things attatched to the leaves of my axolotl plants and want to know is it;
a) eggs
b) spermatophores
c) something growing on the leaves themselves

they are clear, fluffy looking and there is a LOT of them on most of the plants he (or maybe she now) has in his tank.

please help i always thought harry was a boy but maybe this could prove otherwise

Hi
It might be best to start a new thread and provide pics.

Do you feed pellets? sometimes they can get stuck on the leaves and rot.

If it were eggs they shouldn't be fluffy and if it was spermatophore there shouldn't be lots of it and it shouldn't be on the plants....

Hope this helps, but a new thread and pic would help us identify better,

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back