Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breathing + panic attack?

shmifty5

Reaction score
okay, so today figgy (my C. orientalis) has been surfacing for air more constantly, he used to only come up for air every half hour or longer, now he is going up every 5 -10 minutes, is it the temp of the water? it has been rather hot here lately, i use lots of ice to keep him cool, do i need to keep him colder? also today when he came up for air he started swimming at the glass rather frantically, like he was terrified and swimming for his life, he eventually stopped and went back down and back to stomping around his tank, but im still worried about this.

if it matters he has been eating earthworms since yesterday, i gathered them from under a shrub-like tree in my backyard, we are surrounded by farmland so there is pesticides and poisons in the area, i however do not use any such products on my yard and neither does anyone else that lives close by so poison is very unlikely, but im still new, so i could be wrong (i hope im not).

any help would be greatly appreciated, maybe im just not seeing the obvious, maybe the answer is literally screaming at my face and i just can't notice it, darn my naivete.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If the tank is fully cycled and there are no obvious signs of illness, it probably is a lesser amount of oxygen disolved in the water due to higher temps. If it gulps air and dives back down again, i wouldn´t worry. If it hangs out in the surface or tries to get out when gulping air, offer a terrestrial surface (a piec eof floating cork bark will suffice) and see if it uses it.

Remember anyway that ideally, temps shouldn´t be allowed to get higher than 20ºC.

shmifty5

Reaction score
i try and keep the temps as low as possible, i freeze myself at night by leaving the window open and letting the room chill out and i also use plenty of ice, sometimes the tank will get warmer tho (i hope fluctuations in water temps aren't overally stressful to the little guy), so it could be water temp.

he hasn't paniced since that incident so im thinking it was just the temp thingy and i might have spooked him when i got up to see what the splashing was about (my bad...).

i was just wondering, but recently he shed his skin, i think he started shedding just before he was fully adapted to his new home so the skin did stick to him and come off in large pieces, i noticed a few days ago that he seemed to have a white spot on his mouth (lower jaw) and im concerned that this is either skin stuck to his body or something far worse, should i wait and see if he gets worse or should i try salt baths just incase?
i offer 2 large rocks as ways to escape the water if needed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1