Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Looking at tanks for axolotls

booskie

Reaction score
I'm doing a lot of research on axies and am looking into getting one. Any advise on tanks. I found a really cool sphere tank, but because it is almost completely round except for a small area at the bottom, would it be better for it to be in a rectangular tank with more flat space?

melfly

Reaction score
Definately would say rectangle for axolotls. And a massive NO to a bowl.

They spend all of their time on the floor so need as much space as possible.

I am not a fan of round bowls anyway as they are not really suitable for even fish due to the lack of oxygen.

Mel

tomkeogh

Reaction score
I think a bow front aquarium would suit axolotl especially if there as stupid as mine bumping into the corner, I know they are more expensive though

but I would have to agree with mel, a bowl is a terrible idea, can you even get them big enough?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Usually not, even the very large Sphere fish tanks have a small "floor". I would just keep checking craigslist for a used tank, how many axies are you thinking about getting?

If you are looking to just buy 1, you can get a nice cheap 20 gallon long with a stand and hood, sometimes even a filter for less than $75.

booskie

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I am only getting one axie. I'll make sure to get a rectangle tank.

michael

Reaction score
The more floor space the better. A breeder style or low tank is better than a high or extra high. I have some extra high 20 gallon tanks that have the foot print of a 10 gallon tank. For axolotl purposes I consider them to be 10 gallon tanks.

Shizeric

Reaction score
I see a ton of 55 gallons for sale, but all I want is a 40 long because of the same footprint, but less of a height for ease of maintenance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1