Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Small sore, what should I do?

mummyhamster

Reaction score
Afternoon everyone!

I have 2 Chines Fire Bellied Newts (Cynops orientalis) in a 10 gallon tank, measurements 2 foot long by 1 foot high and wide. It has 2/3rds water with a small floating island and a large onrament which breaks the surface water. The first Newt was taking frozen bloodworms from my tweezers while I wiggled them about making them look like they were still alive on his first night with me. He is now doing fine and is scoffing live bloodworms like there is no tomorrow! The seond Newt which when I first got them spent all of it's time on the land area (the first Newt jumped straight in the water). I haven't seen the second Newt eat, but it doesn't look thin. I don't think the Newts are fighting as yesterday they were both snuggled up on the land area together!

This morning though I noticed the second Newt has what I think is a small open sore. It is located almost on it's side and belly - just where the orange bit start, just beneath it's left front leg (arm?!) It's very small at the moment. It just looks like a hole. Obviously just because it's small now, doesn't mean it won't get bigger, as I'm sure without any treatment it will.

I have read a few differnt articles on what to do, but thought I would post on here to see if anybody had any ideas. At the moment it is in a tub (like the ones crickets come in, it does have lots of air holes on the side). I have put some live moss in there and wet it all. There is also a bit of damp kitchen paper with some live bloodworms on it in the hope it might feed. It is in the coolest darkest room in the house. I have done it like this as I read that leaving the sore to the open air helps it to heal. I've also read about refridgerating them, is this a good idea?

Please help me, help this Newt.

Thanking you all!

V'.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Although sores on C. orientalis are common, there is no clear consensus on what is the best treatment. From what I've read, silvadene cream (silver sulfadiazine) and various antibiotics have sometimes had good results, but anything you try is really a stab in the dark. If the newt is already in a cool place, I don't think refrigeration is needed.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I use the Neosporin triple anti-biotic ointment (without the pain medicine!) with pretty positive results. As for the temporary housing I just put them in a small container with just moistened brown paper towels and maybe a small piece of bark for them to hide under. I apply the ointment everyday for at least a week, even if it heals up before then.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!