Skeleton Leg!!!!!

Lennikins

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I went away and my little brother was looking after my 2 axolotls. One is black and the other is albino.. Axle (the black one is fine) but when I got back Ollie (the albino one) had a cotton wool leg, her front left leg had what looked like cotton wool or fluff all over it, the top of her leg was red and the rest had the fungas on it..
I asked zac how long she had been like this and he couldn't tell me, I am unsure how much attention he showed them:-(
ok so I decided to give my baby a salt bath, I made the second tank up, scooped her up in a net and put her in it, she swam around for a second and when she settled there was no fungas, no fluff just SKELETON!!!!!!!!! what the??
I have cleaned everything and set up the tank for them all nice and clean, they both seem happy enough and are eating fine. The skeleton had come off a bit now.. What has happened? Will her leg grow back? Should I take her to a vet.. Hang on would a vet even see her???

Any help/answers are much appreciated?

Hey first off what was the temprture off the tank and when you salt bathed her i am new to axoltol's but this is what happend to my old one,

about 20degrees c. Oh.. Did your ax get better?

My best guess that since you have so much exposed bone is that this leg will need to be amputated by a vet. Exposed bone can start to rot and that can lead to a serious infection. Please seek a vet's advice as soon as possible.

That's almost a definite injury from another axolotl. What size tank do you keep the two of them in?

Your best bet is to fridge the Axolotl to reduce stress and try and aid the healing process. Fridging can be found here: Axolotl Sanctuary

Give that a shot for now and see how things go, and if there are signs of fungal growth (look like cotton on the wound) then try salt baths. However, in this case, the fluff all over it may have just been the flesh in such a bad state that it was just barely hanging on.

Axolotls are one of the best species at regenerating limbs, so there may be a chance, but I would definitely contact a vet and try to get some advice.

Here are herp vets in Australia: Herp Vets in Australia

please help!

i just joined this site, and i have a white albino baby axolotl (about 3 months?) his tail has been caught in the plants or th filter (could be both) but hes lost half of his tail, its torn and red at the ends!!!. im really concerned he may die. :( he has been actuing normaly but i dont want him to pass.

do i have to fridge him ? (i dont know why you do this or how)

how do i cure him or her?:eek::(:(

please help. thank you !

If he's acting all right, it's very likely that he will be fine. Axolotl parts grow back very easily, especially when they're young. I would make sure his water is cool and clean, and keep a close eye on the injury. If you see fungus (white cottony look) or it starts to look infected (swollen and red) you might want to fridge or do salt baths, but you can always post again with photos if that happens -- people here are very helpful and have a lot of experience.

(To make your own new post, you can go to the main forum page, which has a list of posts, and clock "New Thread" at the top. Then you can give it a more descriptive subject, so people don't think you're still posting about a skeleton leg.)

Look on the bright side; he has a smashing halloween costume!

I wish I could offer some helpful information but I'm hoping that humour will make you feel better at least. Good luck with your poorly axie!

This can happen it depends on how bad the fungus infection was and for how it was left in the salt bath. The leg will have to come off either by a vet or yourself. fridging for a few days to help with stress and healing.
Keep him in a dark environment around 20* and he should be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back