Tiger salamander in fish tank

dixychickca

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I know this might sound weird, I was thinking of putting my tiger salamander in my fish tank that has fish in it. Would that be a good idea? My little guy likes to swim a lot. Any help would be great. Thanks

Is your tiger salamander still a larva ( with gills) or has it morphed. If it is still in larval form he will probably happily eat the fish. If he has morphed then do not...he will possibly drown.

I see from your previous threads that you have an adult tiger salamander. You must NOT put him in an aquarium with fish, he will drown. Adult tiger salamanders need to be in a tank with dirt (like 3-5 inches, the more the merrier) and a shallow water dish. He will be happiest burrowing in his dirt. If he's spending a LOT of time in his water dish, there could be something wrong with the substrate or in his habitat. A happy, healthy tiger will probably be "underground" during the day unless he's begging you for food or in an above-ground hide.

thank you all for all the help. It was just a thought that came into my head. Weird as it may seem. I've never had a tiger salamander before and am new at this. He spends most of his time in his home.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back