Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Noob to sand.

bunny27

Reaction score
WARNING: FREAKING ESSAY AHEAD!! Okay, I've done many readings about the pros and cons of sand and I think I'm going to try sand as there are many small annoying particles of poop and other such things trapped between the river rocks.

It's also annoying how I clean every nook and cranny and they still manage to show up >:[ ! I know I can't clean all the particles but if sand can help make cleaning easier and reduce axolotl stress then I'm giving it a go.

So, I know I'm supposed to find play sand or aquarium sand, so I went to Petsmart adn just bought aquarium sand. I have a picture:

sand.jpg

Is this type of sand okay? The answer's probably pretty obvious but I'm new to sand. It's CaribSea's Super Naturals: Premium Aquarium Substrate. Apprantly it's ideal for freshwater aquariums, it's pH neutral, will not increase carbonate hardness, has no artificial dyes or paints to flake off, and proven to reduce nitrates...I'm just reading off the bullet points on the bag.

Has anyone used this sand before? is it safe? And what the heck is that free bio-magnet clarifier? In the directions listed on the back of the bag, it says to use it in the aquarium water, which I'm NOT going to use. Anyways, also, I already have water in my tank, I'm going to move my axolotl for the mean time until the sand settles in and I check the water parameters, but how do I want to put the sand in after I've rinsed it? Do I just dump the whole sand it, or is there a method of putting the sand in? Should I take out some water, put the sand in and then put that water back in? and what should I expect from this sand, like should I expect the tank to be cloudy for a couple of days, etc. I just hope introducing sand into my cycled water doesn't mess up the water chemistry.

Jeebus! I forgot, what about the filter? I've read on here that we should turn it off when the sand is settling, but others are saying to leave it on. Which one is more correct? I have an AquaClear Filter so...I don't know if that's important.

Sorry, long essay, but total NOOB to sand. Just want to know everything before I do something I regret.

Oh and btw, this sand is for my 20 gallon tank which is home to one of axolotls. This one is 7.5 inches, but I have another axolotl that's 2.5 inches in a 10 gallon tank, can I put this sand in the baby's tank as well?

Thanks for those who even read this!

Last edited:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Yes! A reference to me!

And the sand is fine for adults as well as juveniles.

And as for the filter, if you rinse the sand enough, it will settle quickly, so leave the filter on.

bunny27

Reaction score
Woooo! Thanks for providing that link!! I shall start sanding the tank soon!!! I'm kind of excited, thank you both!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Lazy Sand Washing tip: (Because believe me when I say, I have lazy down to a science...):p

Pour the sand into a clean five gallon bucket. Jam your garden hose down into the sand. Turn on the water and give the sand a stir every so often until the water runs clear.

bunny27

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have another question. Since I already have water in my 20-gallon tank, do I want to take out my water in several buckets and then put the sand in and then put the water back, or can I just slowly put the sand in with the water, or how do I want to approach this.... any ideas?

Shizeric

Reaction score
If the sand is well washed, it will settle right to the bottom, I would put it in very slowly, about a cup full, or small scoop at a time.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I would do exactly as Eric describes with just a few tweaks: I would shut off my filtration temporarily and remove my critters from the tank temporarily. Then add away with your sand. Once things settle out a bit, turn your filtration back on and let it run for an hour or so. Then add your pets back to the tank.Just remember not to make it too deep or you will have issues in the near future.

Also, keep careful watch of you water chemistry for a month or so, you may get a few variations.

I am not quite sure what size your axolotls are right now, but if they are three inches or smaller, I would hold off on the substrate until the get a bit bigger (it won't be long!). it is just easier to keep their tank clean and make sure they are all eating properly with a bare bottom.

shoegal

Reaction score
Wow, someone likes to be the center of attention. :p

Yes! A reference to me!

And the sand is fine for adults as well as juveniles.

And as for the filter, if you rinse the sand enough, it will settle quickly, so leave the filter on.

bunny27

Reaction score
Okay, well my question is answered. Seems like I can leave the water in and add the sand. From what I've read around here, the sand should only be 1 inch deep or less, hopefully I got that right. And my other axolotl is like 2.5 inches so I'll wait for the sand for his tank. My other one is 7.5 inches. Hopefully the sand doesn't disrupt my water chemistry to extreme levels. I already had a hard time cycling it waaaay back in the days, but thanks guys :D !!! I really appreciate the help!!

Last edited:

bunny27

Reaction score
Great! So,I put my axie in the fridge while I put sand in the tank. I washed the sand until the water was clear and until I can see my hand in the water. So then after washing, I tried to drain as much water as possible from the sand using a cloth and then putting the sand into the tank.

So just about earlier this month, I did a water testing and it was Nitrite=0 ppm, Ammonia=0 ppm, and pH=7.0 (I have no idea what is Nitrate since the lab didn't come with it),

The sand settled in nicely and it did kind of make my water not as clear as before, but it wasn't super cloudy. I waited for 4 hours or so and did another water testing and this time all the test results were the same except for Nitrite which was now at 0.1 ppm.

So what the heck just happened?! Was this caused by the sand or by my tank water or by the hose water that was being used to wash the sand?

Can I still put my axie back in the tank even with 0.1 ppm Nitrite?

Here are some pics of my tank incase...Please tell me anything that needs to be reconsidered:

pic 2.jpg

The filter and airstone are actually on since the sand settled already at the bottom.

pic1.jpg

This is just a comparison to my other axie's tank, which is more clear than the big tank...

Thanks!

Shizeric

Reaction score
.1ppm is fine, you can put the axies back in, adding substrate can alter your water's parameters...just keep on eye on them in coming weeks.

bunny27

Reaction score
Good news...so for some reason, my water parameters are back to normal. The Nitrite is now at 0 ppm, which was a really quick change. Anyways, she freaked out because she's never been on sand before, but now she's walking and dragging her belly on it. I think she likes it :D. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!