White Bump On Paramesotriton Chinensis?

VolatileXIII

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Christiano
Currently quaranteened my smaller "Paddletail" in a 10 gallon, it appears to have a white "bump" on the lower left of her body just above her rear left leg. It looks somewhat like a pimple, but at the same time it appears like shedding skin. It shed "full-body" a few hours ago, rubbing its old skin off on the rocks but the white "pimple" spot remained.

I did a complete water change, conditioned it and let it sit for a few hours before transporting the newt into the clean water. It doesn't have a filter as I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing. I will be heading over to the local "Big Als" in the morning to talk to someone to see if maybe they can help. Any opinions?

Is there a bump at the same location on the other side? There are a lot of possible things it could be. I expect that Big Al's won't have a clue what it is, but they'll sell you some kind of product for it nonetheless.

Is there a bump at the same location on the other side? There are a lot of possible things it could be. I expect that Big Al's won't have a clue what it is, but they'll sell you some kind of product for it nonetheless.

No, it's just on the one side. The condition doesn't seem to have gotten any better or worse. "She" seems fine, but I'm going to keep her in a clean tank and feed her more than usual.

It may be stress induced, as she has been housed in a much larger than necessary tank with another species of which I'm assuming is the same as her. The only incident that I can recall, she was the agressor. She grabbed the males rear leg and they curled into a thrashing ball under-water. It was quite an "epic" battle before I washed my hands and seperated them. I had her in the quarantined tank for a day or so before placing her back in the tank.

I've kept numerous reptiles and amphibians over the years so I understand they're needs quite well. I've been looking into and researching about Chinensis so it shouldn't have anything to do with IT'S specific needs such as hides, current, water quality, etc.

Is it a possibility that she may have scraped herself, and what I'm seeing is merely the healing process? I took a few pictures, now it's just a matter of finding my USB connect.

She seems fine, it doesn't seem to affect her mobility. She is smaller than the other, although when I purchased them together she was already smaller. It just seems the male is getting bigger and bigger.

These Paddletails look so sickly compared to Leopard Gecko's. I'm used to lizards with fat tails, not flat tails. Hahahaha.

Your post title is Paramesotriton chinensis, but you refer to her as a paddletail. The common name paddletail normally refers to Pachytriton. Are you sure about which you have? Both types are prone to aggression, but an "epic" battle sounds more like Pachytriton. See
Caudata Culture Articles - Firebelly

It's quite possible it could be an abrasion that is healing.

If your newts seem more sickly than geckos, consider that leopard geckos are usually captive bred, while your newts have just been shipped halfway around the globe. And amphibians are basically more delicate as well.

Your post title is Paramesotriton chinensis, but you refer to her as a paddletail. The common name paddletail normally refers to Pachytriton. Are you sure about which you have? Both types are prone to aggression, but an "epic" battle sounds more like Pachytriton. See
Caudata Culture Articles - Firebelly

It's quite possible it could be an abrasion that is healing.

If your newts seem more sickly than geckos, consider that leopard geckos are usually captive bred, while your newts have just been shipped halfway around the globe. And amphibians are basically more delicate as well.

My mistake. I am quite certain they are NOT Pachytriton Labiatus. I only refer to them as Paddletails, as that's what the pet shop clerk told me they were. I went in looking for Japanese Fire-Belly Newts, the woman told me they received "Giant Paddletails" instead. They had three housed in a small cricket keeper.

I'm positive they are Paramesotritons, slightly unsure of whether they are Chinensis or another species. I'm pretty sure that they are "Warty Newts" oppose to "Paddletails".

All three newts were in a pile in the corner and when I had initially purchased them, and they seemed quite lethargic until they became accustom to their new environment. I wanted to get all three when I purchased mine but unfortunately someone had already purchased the third smaller one so I had to settle for saving only two of them. Now that I think of it, I wonder if that third little one even made it because IMO, they needed out of that keeper A.S.A.P.

After a few months all seems to be going well, asides from the white bump. I've noticed that last night she enjoyed staying out of the water when I dozed off, which stunned me at first because unless someone is up and about in the room, they usually choose to stay out of sight.

The spot seems to be remaining the same. Not getting bigger or smaller. I've gotten some really good pictures, now I need to put them on here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back