Newts and Orandas

bettablue

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi! My first post. I've just finished reading info from this site about species only for paddle tail newts. My problem is that I got a paddle tail newt 3 months ago and put it into a 20 gal tank with plants, etc. Then 1 month later, I got 2 oranda goldfish that were about 3 in. to share his space. I actually thought I did all the research to find compatable fish for him. From your site, you tell me different. My aquarium is at 70 degrees that appears to be fine for both. The goldfish are too large for the newt to eat. The goldfish are not at all interested in the newt other than their fins flowing over him, they do not nip at him or particularly interested in him. Please tell me why these guys won't work together. After reading your site, I can put the Oranda's into a 45 gal. el natural tank that only has an albino chocolate plec in it if I need to separate the newt from them. It has no other fish in it though I had thought of doing rainbows into it...but will wait til I hear from you. I have only had aquariums for coming up 4 years...new to me and appreciate advise. Been doing well so far...have 7 aquariums...2 - 5 gal., 2 - 10 gal., 1 - 20 gal, 1 - 45 gal (new), 1 - 90 gal.

Your advise would be very much appreciated as this is my first newt!

Thank you,
Shar

Thank you for your reply. Those are the articles I read that got me to register on this site. If you notice, there is no reference to the Oranda Goldfish. I appreciate that you are a goldfish keeper but there are many goldfish species in a variety of sizes. As I mentioned, I am concerned but would like to hear more regarding the Oranda's with the paddle tail newt as both are individual species. I feed all my fish twice a day. I have snails living with my clown and yo yo loaches and have given away more mollies and platys from offspring even with african butterfly fish living in the same aquarium. The Orandas appear to be happy with the food they get and the newt roams the entire aquarium oblivious of the Orandas and vice versa. I appreciate this site for giving me a heads up that I may have a concern...but I have not actually heard or seen an actual conflict between Orandas and newts. As I've said, I have a 45 gal. that I can relocate the Orandas if I need to. I will not add the rainbows til I feel comfortable that the newt is safe. I would just appreciate some feedback from other fishkeepers if they've ever kept Orandas and newts in one aquarium...or someone telling me that an Oranda would eat or hurt a newt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back