Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

''If the newt cannot keep its skin completely dry, this often reverses the "terrestrial" urge.''

Zac

Reaction score
So, I know I've been asking a lot of questions lately, but I need the best care for my little guy as absolutely possible. Anyways, this sentence: ''If the newt cannot keep its skin completely dry, this often reverses the "terrestrial" urge.'' found on the Cynops orientalis care sheet.

Now, in another section of the care sheet it mentioned 1-2 cm of water with heavy planting would be a good setup for juveniles. So, would this be a suitable setup for a juvenile? I just need to double check before I do anything.

Thanks for the answers. I'm sorry once again for all the questions, I hope you can understand. :eek:

Cheers
Zac

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are we talking here about brand new metamorphs, or recently-acquired small/juvenile animals from a pet shop?

Zac

Reaction score
Juvenile. He is around 4.7 cm.

Last edited:
A

achiinto

Have your juvenile CO spent sometime on the land before? I have allowed my CO a year of time to spend on land and develop. Then when I want to introduce them back to water, I put them into a container similar to what you have described. Very shallow water depth with lot of plants and a rock for full terrestrial land. Make sure your enclosure is escape-proof as they will try to escape if the environment suddenly changed to water.

I hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!