Hi /o _ o\

krizzy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
krizzy
Hi I'm Krizzy, and I am extremely interested in owning some axolotls, but I want to read up on them as much as i can first, so I can do this correctly. Any help or suggestions from long time owners would be greatly appreciated!

I had seen the internet "motivational poster" that says "Mudkips Do Exist" a loooong time ago, but I figured it was a wild animal, and only a few days ago did I learn that they could be kept as pets. I think they are some of the cutest animals in the world, and they really remind me of my little sister that I rarely get to see. :D

Hi and welcome!!! You've come to the right spot to learn everything axolotl!! You can start here: Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

That should get you started and once you get through there, should you have questions, come join us out here and ask away. Now the hardest part for you is being able to stop at one! :D

Yeah, actually I read that page first, and it led me to the forums. There's just been so much information, and some of it is different from different sources, so I thought I'd speak to owners directly. :]

Wow, glad to see you are serious! The basic information should pretty much be the same, just some personal preferences start playing a role here and there. As long as you pick up the basics: tank size, substrate, filter, temp, pH, etc., you should be in fine shape. If you have some specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask, you will get answers! Take care. ;)

hi krizzy
welcome to the forum......the people on the forum are more than willing to help
lea

Thanks. :D
I got a nice big 45 gallon second hand tank today (to hopefully house 2-3 axys). Washing it tomorrow (and the next several days I'm assuming) with vinegar as I was told is safe, since it was previously a saltwater tank. Can't wait to really get started!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back