crazyferret

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
steph
hi everyone
does anyone know which is the best to use live or plastic plants.:happy:
i'm in the middle of setting up my tank for my axolotls which are around 5 months old ive had them afew weeks but now i want to move them into a bigger tank (4ft)
which has more hide away places,
but i'm not sure on the plants can anyone tell me the best plants to use.
plus my water temp can get 19.5 some time alittle higher, is this alright or do i need a chiller.
many thanks for reading this
steph:D

I think plastic or live comes down to a personal preference in most cases. If you want to know some safe live plants, scroll down to the bottom of this page: Axolotl Sanctuary

As for your temp, depends on how much higher your temps go. Here are some cooling techniques if interested: Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

Hope this helps. :D

hi many thanks for the info on the plants,
my temp doesn't go any higher then 20.

Okay, 20 is okay. If you hit about 24 - time to check into some cooling. ;)

I would HIGHLY recommend live plants. Specifically Java Fern and Java moss...2 excellent plants that thrive in cold temps and add great color and life to any tank.

I too recommend live plants.
Both live and plastic have their advantages and their disadvantages. Personally i find the advantages of live plants outweight by far the disadvantage (which is mainly the production of dead plant matter). Live plants actively stract ammonia and other compounds from the water, helping a great deal with maintaining water quality.

hi thanks everyone for your info.

was in a pet shop yesturday looking for some live plants and a lady said that moss balls would be alright for the axels.:happy:
is that true? i don't know alot about moss balls, but maybe someone out there does.
i wouldn't want to get them in case they hurt the axels
thanks steph

Several out here use them. I have them in my tanks as well - I forget I do have those.

They look kind of cute in the tank and my axies generally ignore them. My sub-adults knock theirs about from time to time, but other than that, no issues.

thanks will get some tomorrow will post pic of my tank/axels when i work out how to do that,
many thanks for all your help

As long as you can find plants that wont defoliate and rot, I highly recomend live plants!
But if your lazy plastic plants is the way to go.

hi i have uploaded some pics to my home page,(still not sure how to upload pic to here yet) as you can see my axels are still babies 5 months old and do look lost in there home, which is looking alittle bare,
will go to pet shop in the morninbg to grab some live plants.:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back