Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can Eggs hatch too early

1lowtoy

Reaction score
Hello all first post here. I reasently recived 4 2" axies and 5 eggs from a very nice guy from near me. One of the eggs hatched last night and another today. The reason I ask is unfortinatly on the 2.5 hour trip home with them the, shelf that sits in my cooler i was bringing them home in fell. The shelf had a 2 cans of soda in it so it had some weight, and crushed 2 of the eggs witch i brought home in a zip lock bag for temporary transport reasons. These were the first 2 of the 5 eggs to hatch also. Just wondered because if they may of hatched eraly due to damage. The pics of axies in there egges seem much larger than the hatchlings that are swiming sround my container. I am in the process of remodeling but have over 500 US Gal worth of aquirum in 3 tanks to spread these guys out once there a bit larger, so im set there just worried about these guys surviving due to they dont even really look large enough to even eat the BBS i fed today. Should i wait it out to see if they survive and any advice as to care for them.

Thanks

Travis

Sorry about my ramblings I have adult ADD bad and it tends to affect my spelling, sentance structure, and train of thought.:wacko:

dragonlady

Reaction score
Re: Can Eggs hatch to early

I'm sorry to hear about your mishap, hope everything turns out okay despite the rough beginning. I don't know about hatching too early, but if the larvae appear fully developed, then I don't suppose it's too early for them. Under normal conditions, I think eggs hatch at 14 days - do you know when they were laid?
Here is a thread that has a great pic of larvae so you can get an idea of how small they really are and there is a discussion about brine shrimp as well. Scroll down to a post by Melfly - it's a perfect representation: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...rvae-breeding/67538-advice-axolotls-eggs.html

1lowtoy

Reaction score

ok maby im right on track then. seeing that pic put things in better perspective. Man some people have good camras cause i dont think i could take pics of that quality that i see in allot of the larva egg pics and have them so clear and that large. Any way they seem to be swiming and happy so im going to continue taking care of these guys as you would any new larva and see what happens. If any one has any suggestions on care that i may not know please let me know other wise i think i have every thing covered. Food should not be a problem. I have Micro worms, BBS, Adult BS(live), white worms, 55 gal of indoor caltured Daphnia, red wiggler worms, european night crawlers. so i think i have the food covered also ordered a 1 pound each size of the axie food comming. I have 300 gallons of water declorinating through charcoal filtration and areation at all times at room tempature. I also have a chiller if things get out of hand tempature wise. Im going to graduate these guys through diffrent size of tanks as they grow and my house remodling is finished. My father and used to own a aquarium shop and now have closed due to the economey. We are still maintaning and breading over 100 tanks of fish mainly killies and cichlids. I got the Axies to raise as somthing diffrent and somthing to get my son involved in along as for my wife to use at school as a class pet of a sorts but were kinda re thinking that whole thing.

Sorry for the rambling and derailing my own tread

Travis

shoegal

Reaction score

I had one egg hatch prematurely (several days prior to the other eggs), and I believe it was because it was located in a part of the tank that gets more intense water flow. I think the water flow was too much for the little egg to handle. Unfortunately, the larvae that hatched did not make it.

melfly

Reaction score
Hiya
If they're swimming about and look fully formed i wouldn't worry.

Good luck!!

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1