Substrate

Joshmc08

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Josh
Hi there :)
First off, I have received GREAT AND HEALTHY AXIES from SHOEGAL!!!!
Now im asking you guys if you think river sand would be a good substrate to use?
:ufo:

I would just get some play sand from a hardware store. Clean it with methods described everywhere on the forum and put it into the aquarium before the water goes in and then add the water very very slowly. Also, I've seen a youtube video of someone using a foam/rubber substrate that is just one solid piece. I'm going to look into this as it seems wicked easy to clean.

I got a 50 pound bag of play sand for something like 2.80 here in tx.

I use black Tahitian moon sand (purchased at my local fish store) since my axies are golden and you can see them better against a dark background. I used to have a bare bottom tank, and when I changed the substrate, one of my axies (Sloppy Joe) loved the sand immediately, and the other one (Peanut) seemed so confused to have something squishing between his toes.

I think the key is to rinse the sand extremely well. Wash it in a bucket or a pillow case until the water runs clear. You will find that sand is a substrate that is very easy to keep clean. Plus, if your axies ingest it (which they certainly will), it will not cause any heath problems.

Josh- I sent you one of my favorite white axies with pink gills. I was very sad to see him go, but I hope you love him. : )

Pretty much everything you never needed to know about caudate keeping can be found here:

Caudata Culture Articles

Some joker wrote some long, somewhat boring stuff on substrates there you will find very helpful...;)

I would just get some play sand from a hardware store. Clean it with methods described everywhere on the forum and put it into the aquarium before the water goes in and then add the water very very slowly. Also, I've seen a youtube video of someone using a foam/rubber substrate that is just one solid piece. I'm going to look into this as it seems wicked easy to clean.

I got a 50 pound bag of play sand for something like 2.80 here in tx.
I've seen the video with foam substrate too. Did you find anything good? I've been looking around for foam or rubber substrate that's safe for tanks, it seems people use Pond Filter foam. I found some on amazon, but I'm wondering if it's too porous and will actually trap too much bacteria. I guess you could easily remove it and give it a good wash though, but I was hoping to cut holes in it to stick plants in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back