Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C. orientalis water quality

C

carlyjane

Hi

I have had my three cynops around a month now in an very heavily planted aquatic 60L setup. I purchased four white cloud minnows to basically supply more CO2 to the plants. I have noticed today that there is an oily looking film floating on the surface of the water which I am a bit worried about.

The aquarium is filtered and I have been doing around a 15% water change once a week. I must point out that today I have noticed only three minnows - I know that its likely one of the newts gobbled one up which is fine. I can't see a floating dead fish anywhere but could this be the problem causing the water suface film?

Also my newts have a turtle dock which they rarely use and so I know that they would be out the water alread if it was of a poor quality....

Any suggestions??

oh yeah the oily layer is mainly around my floating plants..

thanks in advance :)

merk199

Reaction score
If the slick is really bothering you take paper towels and lay them on the surface of the water. Doing repeatedly will remove the slick.

What you can do for a more long term solution is add an airstone to break up the water surface or direct your filters return to churn the surface. The tank will mature and over time the slick issue will be moot.

I wouldn't be so sure on that white cloud being eaten by an orientalis. I just think the WC minnows are too large and to fast for them to eat. My 2 yr old tossed a baby white cloud minnow from my breeding tank to my c cyranus tank and that minnow has grow up into an adult. Just watching that minnow move makes me doubt an orientalis would have the necessary speed to take it down. I haven't added minnows to their tank because of other potential risks and issues.

C

carlyjane

Hi rick thank for the advice. My filter already breaks the surface of the water in one corner of the tank - it filters up and has like a tiny flow of water out of the top of the filter and on the surface.

I had read on caudata mixed successfulness with wc minnows so i thought i'd give it a go. When I got them home I couldnt see my newts being able to catch them either - they are fast and my newts seem to be useless hunters however now there is only one left out of four so I reckon one newt at least is feeling rather pleased with themselves :D

It makes me wonder that maybe feeding them only every other day is not enough - or mayeb they are just greedy!

Thanks for the link jennewt I knew I had read it somewhere - was trying to search 'surface oily layer newt ' for it on google but couldnt find it as I didnt know it was called slick!!
Jennewt - thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!