Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need food help

1lowtoy

Reaction score
Ok so ive had my axies over a week now and need some advice. I have 4 axies in a 10gal tank till they get a bit larger for there new home and were finished with our remodel of the house. There about 2" to 3" inches in length. The person i had purchased them from gave me some very large mosquito larva that he was using feed them with. Any way that supply has ran out and now they wont eat what I have to offer. I have black worms and frozen blood worms and white worms. They wont even try the blood worms and when i feed the black worms all they do is spit them back out. They will eat white worms but my supply is dwindling and i hear that a constant diet of white worms are not good for any thing cause of there fat content. I also have some eggs that are hatching and they will also be my next issue if these forms of food are not palatable for them when they get to the right size. but for now there doing great on BBS, Delphinia, micro worms, and vinegar eels. Any suggestions as to why they wont eat the black worms or what i should do.

Thanks
Travis

dragonlady

Reaction score
Perhaps the black worms are a little large for them. I would try cutting them up a bit to see if that helps. You may want to chop the frozen blood worms too if they seem large. Mine at that size handled the blood worms very well.

How are you feeding them? It might be a matter of them not "finding" the worms. I would try feeding individually with a turkey baster - this would probably help avoid any accidental amputations too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!