Photo: I finally added sand to my tank!

bunny27

Reaction score
Country
United States
Piccolo's tank used to be bare-bottom and had river rocks, but I found it hard to clean and I think she's been getting gill fungus due to the particles getting stuck in her gills, so I changed to sand. Here's her new tank, nothing special.

Piccolobaby.jpg IMG_8903.jpg pikachu3.jpg
pica4.jpgpica9.jpgpica11.jpg

I think she likes the sand! Thanks for everyone who helped me, especially to SludgeMunkey, Shizeric, and dragonlady for answering my dumb sand quesitons, haha :D !

Very cute axie! She has some great markings, and your tank is looking good!

Looks great.i'm thinking about puuting light colored sand in my tank. What type of sand is that, where did it come from ? Looks extra fine. When stirred up ,does it settle fast or stay cloudy long ? thanks

@ hotchikisu: Thank you so much :D!

@ slimer: Thanks! I provided a link to one of the posts I made about the sand I bought. It has the name of the sand and a picture of how the bag looks like. I bought it from Petsmart. It's aquatic sand. When I stir it or when my axolotl digs in it, it clouds just in that spot and close to the ground, but it settles in quickly :) .

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...et-ups-filters-substrate/68257-noob-sand.html

Hi Bunny,

Looks great! I like the look of your sand better than mine - I may have to switch again!

Hi Bunny

Your axie is so cute.

I dont think you can beat having sand on the floor of the tanks:happy:

Very nice!:smile:

just one question
how do you clean the sand?

Very nice!:smile:

just one question
how do you clean the sand?

I use thin 'air line' tubing to syphon the dirt off the sand the water flow is so slow not too much sand gets sucked out

dragonlady- Ahaha, thanks! :wacko:

wendyatk- I know, I really like the look of sand and it is easier to spot all that nasty muck. Thanks!:happy:

Martinice- I just use my siphon to hover over the mess and it just cleans it up. Thank you! :happy:

hi bunny
i have to say it again.....he/she has such a cute face...i love the freckles.....the tank looks great
lea

@ lea: Ahaha, thanks! I'm glad you like her freckles!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back