Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I don't know where to put this so im putting it here.

shmifty5

Reaction score
okay, so today i got some plants for the tank (yay), there really wasn't much to choose from as the latest shipment of plants had not come in yet, but i managed to get 2 marimo moss balls (not the cheap java moss balls, the real marimo balls) and a banana plant.

i got 3 questions here, so any help with any of the questions would be awesome, even if you're a newb, as long as it is actually helpful.

#1- i ripped apart one of the moss balls and most of the peices are fully submerged, however there is 2 bigger pieces that are floating (like a moss island, cool eh?), will these floating pieces be fine and will they eventually sink?

#2- the banana plant doesn't have its stem or leaf, it is just the bunch of bananas, will it grow or did i just buy some ammonia?

#3- i also bought a snail to help clean up the place, i didn't get it's name and i sincerely doubt the shop would know, it looks kind of like an apple snail, but then again most of the snails that i have seen look the same to me, it is bigger than figgy (C. orientalis) and it talked to me (it looked at me and opened its mouth, so i opened my mouth and it looked curious, then it opened its mouth again and i did the same, this continued on for a half hour, then i realized i was stupid and i stopped), does anyone have any site i could use to identify him or maybe they have a similiar talking snail.

i think that's it.

deliriah

Reaction score
I seriously thought I was the only one who "talked" to snails! :lol: I had an apple snail a few years back who did the same thing. But I eventually realised he was just hungry. I used to feed him individual fish flakes by hand. I've never found a snail quite like him since. Thanks for the laugh.

shmifty5

Reaction score
lol, thank you for making me feel less insane, haha, he is a unique little bugger.

just did some more searching and a careful look at his shell, he is definately either a mystery snail or an apple snail, will he devour the new plants when im not looking?

merk199

Reaction score
Just plant the banana plant 50% up the side of the banana. Often shipped without stem/leaves. Will grow in fast.

Floating pieces will be fine.

You should be ok with your snail.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1